NaNo Day 28 Check-In // Preparing for the final dash!

How is November going? It is almost the end of the month (can you believe it!?) For those of you who are doing Nanowrimo, this means that it is almost over!! And we are ALMOST at the finish line!

Does this make you super excited and amped up to finish your novel? Or are you feeling overwhelmed and rushed trying to write as much as possible before the clock turns midnight on the 30th? Or are you feeling tired and burnt out after doing SO much writing this month?

How about all three of the above!?

My Progress So Far

At the beginning of the month, I had two goals going into Nanowrimo:

1. Reaching 50K
  2. Starting and finishing my new novel, Never Forget

I am doing well at reaching my daily word counts and already reached the 50K word count goal for the month (yay!!) so no worries there.

However I am about 60-70% through my novel, and I don’t want to rush to the ending, so I will likely definitely defer the epic ending to December, which is a much more realistic goal. Overall I am still very happy about how things have gone during Nanowrimo this year 🙂

The Exit Strategy

Now that we are ALMOST done Nanowrimo, I’ve been thinking about what is the best approach to the last few (precious) remaining days of November. Should I…

1. Amp up my speed and SQUEEZE as much writing in as possible doing the next few days? Pull one (or more) all-nighters?
  2. Keep riding the Nanowrimo momentum and carry on at the current pace of 1667-ish words a day?
  3. Take a chill pill. Since I already made my word count goal, just kick back and relax?

As much as I love all-nighters, (I really do!!!) they are not sustainable because of my day job. And I really do want to continue on with this turbo-speed writing pace that Nanowrimo seems to give me, especially since I have yet to finish my novel. SO it looks like I am going with option 2!

For those of you who are wrapping up Nanowrimo with me, let me know how you plan to spend the last few days of the month!

Remind me what your WIP is about!

My Nanowrimo WIP is titled Never Forget. Here is a blurb!

It is 2050, ten years after the collapse of the World Wide Web. Virtual reality video games, self-driving transportation pods, and automated military jets have long been taken off the grid. Landline telephones and the post office are back in service. Welcome to the Digital Dark Age.

Remington Wu, a Chinese-Canadian barista who makes a mean morning espresso at the local cafe, hides two secrets: the ability to remember every detail of his mundane life with machine-like accuracy, and a peculiar hobby. In his spare time, he scours pawn shops for remnants of the technological boom of the 2030s, and he is determined to find signals of the lost Internet from his apartment rooftop. When Remy connects an old modem to his phone line and sends a ping, his pen-pal baby sister Chloe shows up on his front doorstep, along with the pastel-haired, axe-wielding Ria who only Remy can see.

Last but not least… a snippet!

With the other hand, Remy picks up the thin stack of folded papers, taking in the familiar rounded cursive script written in light blue gel pen. Remy remembers the content of the letter as well as he remembers all of Chloe’s letters and every word of every textbook he’s ever read. But there is something reassuring about holding the sheets of paper in his hands.

Hey Remy!

How is it going on up there in Canada? There’s been lots going on over here ever since my last letter. I must’ve mentioned I was going to Hong Kong? Well, I have to say it was well worth the money! Can you imagine a whole city underwater? It’s the most surreal feeling when you are standing on the very boundary of the city and you can touch the glass that separates the city from the ocean. The ocean! Can you believe that! It is kind of disorientating actually. I got dizzy and had to take some drugs- no worries, not drug drugs, just the kind you get from drug stores for nausea! I swear I am not getting into trouble! Besides, you know how hard it is to smuggle drugs across the border these days, not that I would smuggle drugs, or even own them!

Then Chloe goes on to write about the Hong Kong zoo and visiting Bao Bao and Di Di, who are the two remaining pandas in the Eastern world. From Remy’s knowledge, it is currently a urgent concern in the veterinarian and zoology communities to further reproductive technology to enable the two to mate and produce offspring that would carry on the panda race.

Chloe also muses about the places that she wants to visit next, like Italy, the epicentre of arts and music, or Antarctica, where, according to Chloe, there is ongoing research to preserve the Earth’s magnetic field in order to prevent the North and South poles from switching places, an event that would disrupt human and animal life on Earth as we know it. Remy makes a point to look that up, because he has never come across that piece of knowledge in his readings before. And as much as he trusts Chloe, the idea of the two poles flipping is preposterous to him.

How’s November going for you? For those who are doing Nanowrimo, how is writing going? How will you spend the last few days of the month?

44 thoughts on “NaNo Day 28 Check-In // Preparing for the final dash!

Congratulations on doing so well for NaNoWriMo, Sophie, that’s incredibly exciting!! I hope you’ll get to finish your manuscript this December and I can’t wait to hear more about it, that snippet sounds so promising and intriguing as well, I’m so curious about this world! ❤

Thank you Marie ❤ I think I have about 30K left, and I’m coming close to the exciting finale so it’s looking promising that I’ll finish by December! 🙂
      Glad to hear that you like the snippet and the world! How is writing going for you? Last time I heard you’re working on the climax- are you coming towards the end of your WIP now? ❤

2. floatinggold says:

I was going to suggest option 2, so I’m glad you chose it, too.
    As for me, I could reach the 50k today (or tomorrow the latest), so yay to this. Not sure if the story will be done, or if I’ll need to add a bit more on Friday + throughout the weekend. I’m super excited, though that it’s my first time, and I got to this point!
    CongratZ on your 50k!

Haha great minds think alike 🙂
      That’s AWESOME that you’re about to reach 50k (if you haven’t done so already!) It must be exciting especially this is your first time winning Nanowrimo! Sounds like you are close to the end of your novel, which must also be exciting right? 🙂
      Thank you!!

• floatinggold says:

I’ve done it! I’m super psyched. Hit 50k, and I think I finished the novel, too. Will see if I add some more in the next day, or if I’ll be happy with what I have until now. Yes, I had some doubts along the way, but I’m really proud of the first timer win.

Wow nice!!! Congrats!!! Wow that is even more awesome that you finished your novel! (Or almost? You definitely still have a few days to add more 🙂 ) You should absolutely be proud of this achievement!

Does this make you super excited andamped up to finish your novel? Or are you feeling overwhelmed and rushedtrying to write as much as possible before the clock turns midnight on the 30th? Or are you feeling tired and burnt out after doing SO much writing this month?

Lol for me, I’m just relieved that I finished 50 K on the 24th, so now I can afford to write slowly again. And I can continue lying in bed for about ten hours every day. Makes me sound like a lazy bones, but as you know, I usually only get 6 ish or even 5ish hours of sleep every night, even if I’m in bed for 10 hrs. ;(

I think it’s incredible how well you’ve done with NaNo this year Sophie. 🙂 You’re definitely an inspiration to me when it comes to writing, I’ve pretty much given up on NaNo this month, because of my mental health and all I’ve taken a step back but I will be writing again when it comes to December (I’m just giving up on NaNo, not my WIP). I think this close to the end definitely go with the option that allows you to remain healthy than get as many words down on paper as possible! 😀
    You WIP sounds amazing, I actually love this snippet you posted more than the one your posted in your Rising Author tag post. I want to learn more about Chloe (I love her voice in your writing) and about a world where the North and South likes could flip and Hong Kong is underwater! It sounds amazing. 🙂
    Great post and happy writing! ❤️

Aww thank you Beth ❤
      That's all right even if you won't meet the 50K goal. In the end it is about trying our best, right? It is definitely more important to keep our bodies and minds healthy. Looks like you've got more than 22K down which is still great progress 🙂 If you keep it up with writing over December and/or the upcoming months, you'll be done your novel soon!
      Glad to hear that you like this snippet!! I was super excited to show a bit more of the world of Never Forget in this one. Actually the bit about the North and South poles is a true theory about what could happen in the future 🙂
      Thank you ❤ Wishing you all the best for the rest of November. Definitely take it easy and stay healthy 🙂 Happy writing ❤

Hi Stefanie! Thank you ❤ Yes! The dystopian vibe is what I am trying to convey with this novel, so I am glad that it comes through! I love diverse characters and I don't feel quite qualified to write about non-Asians haha, since I am Asian myself 🙂
      How is your sweater going, by the way? 🙂

Life happens right? It’s tough because life doesn’t pause when we are doing challenges like these, whether it is writing or knitting. The advent swap package sounds interesting though! I hope that it was a good month for you anyway 🙂

5. meandinkblog says:

Congratulations on completing 50K– you did amazing!! 💛 I was glad to read another snippet– the world keeps getting more and more interesting (an underwater city sounds kind of amazing). And I like Remy’s perspective– his curiosity of the world and knowledge is great. 💛