3 Day Quotes Challenge: Day 1

Copy of Copy of Copy of Copy of Copy of MINI-REVIEW-10

Thank you Darren @ The Arty Plantsman for nominating me for this challenge!

Here are the rules:

1. Thank the person who nominates you
  2. Post one quote per day for 3 consecutive days
  3. Nominate three new bloggers each day

main-483811

Today’s quote:

A DEFINITION NOT FOUNDย IN THE DICTIONARY

Not leaving: an act of trust and love,

often deciphered by children

— Markus Zusak, The Book Thief

The Book Thief is my favourite book of all time. There are so many quotes that I love from this book and it was hard to just choose just one. Do you have a favourite book of all time?

Today I nominate CJR the Brit, Sareena @ All of It Blog, and Tasya @ The Literary Huntress!

No worries if you don’t do like to do these types of challenges. On the other hand, if you want to do this challenge, consider yourself nominated!

SaveSave

SaveSave

24 thoughts on “3 Day Quotes Challenge: Day 1

Thank you Marie ๐Ÿ™‚ The Book Thief is one of my favourite novels. I was intimidated by this book at first because it is on the long side and because it is a historical fiction. However once I started I couldn’t stop. I would highly recommend this book!

A brilliant quote from one of my favourite books. ๐Ÿ™‚ This is a great pick for the first day Sophie, there are so many amazing quotes to pick from The Book Thief I feel like you could quote the whole book and it wouldn’t be enough to showcase how amazing it is! ๐Ÿ˜€

One of my favorite quotes from one of my favorite books, The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot, is “I flutter in all ways and fly in none.”. XD

It basically means you do a bit of everything but aren’t accomplished in any of them. Jack of all trades, master of none. I’m the opposite of this, actually. I’m obsessively focused on a few areas in life, such that I have more weaknesses than most people do…

I love this quote that you shared. It is simple but meaningful ๐Ÿ™‚
      That’s great that you are very focused in your strengths. They say the key to success is to find what you love and be good at it right? I think it pays off to further improve our strengths than trying to even out our weaknesses ๐Ÿ™‚
      I’ve always told people that I’m a jack of all trades because I have too many hobbies. However these days I’ve been trying to narrow it down to a few (namely writing, and I guess blogging haha).

• Sieran Lane says:

I agree, except that you will see lots of problems when you neglect too many areas in your life like I did, haha. I’m still trying to “catch up” to everyone else on many things. ๐Ÿ˜‚. It’s a matter of embarrassment for me that I have never done a lot of things that *most* people have. :/ And due to my lack of experience in many aspects in normal life, I feel intimidated by some things that most people find ordinary, just because I’m unfamiliar with them.

One popular Chinese author was even more extreme. In an essay of hers, she wrote that because of her intense concentration on her interests, she was a genius in her specialties but an idiot in everything else in life… Which she felt ashamed of too.

I personally think it’s great that you’re so balanced! And you seem to dedicate quite a lot of time to your writing and reading too, so you don’t appear to be stretched too thin. ๐Ÿ™‚

Perhaps the best is to try to find a balance that makes you happiest! My story writing speed is much slower now, yet I’m ironically happier and more fulfilled nowadays, because I also get to write a blog (I quite enjoy nonfiction writing too) and I see friends often.

We all have limited time and energy and I think how we choose to distribute it will determine our strengths and weaknesses. If we spread ourselves out and devote a bit of time on everything, then we probably won’t excel at one thing in particular. On the other hand if we focus on one or few things, then we will more likely become stellar at it (even though it may give us more weaknesses.) Personally, I would rather be great at one thing than okay at everything. For example, Mozart and Beethoven were likely more concerned about being better musicians than becoming passable in team sports!

That’s great to hear that you’ve been doing well! I think socializing and spending time with friends is good for our mental health ๐Ÿ™‚ I have been slacking off a bit in the writing department since Camp Nano because of a new sewing project. I do feel stretched too thin sometimes since there are so many things I want to do and not enough time to accomplish everything!

• Sieran Lane says:

I think you might be one of my few friends who would rather excel in one area and have many weaknesses. The other friends I’ve asked, mostly answered that they would prefer to be a jack-of-all-trades, lol. I am with you in wanting to specialize in one or a few areas. However, sometimes, we can just devote a bit of time to make ourselves okay or even above average in something outside of our area; this goal will not take THAT much time, because we are not aiming to excel in them. For instance, I want to get better at talking to new people, which includes the skill of making small talk. I am considerably better at talking to new people than I was before, but I still struggle a lot and want to improve. Yet, I only aim to become “decent” at socializing with new people; I don’t have such high expectations for this skill as I have for my writing!

There are some skills in life that you can technically live without, but it would be much better if you learned how to do them. Like you mentioned sewing. My mom taught me how to sew numerous times, but I never bothered to practice and thus I forgot everything she taught me. XD So, instead of knowing how to mend my socks, I throw them out and buy new ones, which some may see as very wasteful and lazy. But I am just so unmotivated to learn how to sew… I’m not even motivated enough to become just passing at it.

My attitude is similar towards cooking. I know how to do a very limited amount of cooking, and since I cook even less than I did before, I’m forgetting a lot of my already-very-basic skills. It would be great if I were a bit more diligent at learning how to cook, and to actually practice, but no, I’m not motivated enough, lol. And so I continue to suck at it.

There were a lot of areas where I was initially very interested, but I gave up on them eventually. Like I was very enthusiastic about Photoshop at first, but then due to busyness and other reasons, I barely use Photoshop anymore, so I’m letting those skills atrophy as well.

My list will go on to a very embarrassing length, but suffice it to say, it may look very good on the surface that I’m so focused on my writing. But then you see how ridiculously lacking I am in many essential aspects in life. I don’t know if it’s simply laziness that I don’t bother learning how to sew, cook, or some other important things, or if I’m just so obsessed with my writing (and psychology and Pokemon) that I’m uninterested in almost everything else.

Maybe the grass is greener on the other side, but I do admire people who are good at cooking, sewing, and other important and useful life tasks that I am just not motivated to learn. My mom thinks I’m “messed up” because of how many life skills I lack. Not that her criticism gives me any desire to work on those skills, lol.

You make a good point that some skills are more essential than others (like socializing with others for example) and that it might suffice to be passable in that skill rather than excel in it. I think socializing is pretty important though we donโ€™t have to be social divas! My social skills fluctuate depending on the people and the situation but I can scrape by most days ๐Ÿ™‚ I think cooking could be an essential skill because it is much cheaper and (usually) more healthy than eating out and getting takeout. However there are a lot of healthy options and meal prep plans out there now so I donโ€™t think cooking is as essential. There are some easy recipes that I rely on so I think it is not too hard to pass at cooking as long as weโ€™re not looking to become culinary chefs!
        I agree that there are some skills that are less essential (unless we are passionate about them). For example it is not necessary at all to sew! Sewing is not a life skill because clothes and alterations are readily available now! (From experience I can say that it does not save money to sew clothes rather than buy them!) I am terrible at team sports of all varieties and it was a blessed day in grade 10 when I realized I donโ€™t have to take gym class ever again lol ๐Ÿ™‚ I also wish I could have good physical flexibility and not have a fear of heights, but those arenโ€™t essential either lol.

• Sieran Lane says:

Yeah true, we can buy some pre-made meals right now. They’re not ideal, but they aren’t that bad either.

Aw you made me feel much better that sewing yourself doesn’t cost less than paying for this to be done!

Oh yeah, I wish I was better at all my physical skills, lol!! You actually exercise very regularly, though, which is impressive.