WIPpet Wednesday: The Price

Blog_wippet

Happy Hump Day!

It was SUPER hard to choose today’s snippet, because this is going to be the last snippet that I will be posting from Matt and Olivia’s story*. Now that I’ve trimmed, formatted, and compiled the novel into a neat PDF for beta-readers**, it doesn’t quite qualify as a WIP anymore. It’s a bittersweet feeling :’)

Curious about the final word count of my novel, after revisions? Well, I was able to reduce the length from 147K to…

103K!!!

Not bad, I’d say 🙂

My other announcement is that I will be taking a break from WIPpets for the next 2 weeks. That is because I will be away in China with minimal, if any, access to WordPress (thanks to the Great Firewall of China.) After 2 weeks, I promise to be back with a snippet from my new WIP, a young adult / adult science fiction titled Children of the Sun.

*I’ve cycled through 3 titles for this novel, only to leave it unnamed :’) If you guys have any novel-naming tips, do let me know!

**Although I already have a few trusted beta-readers, let me know if you want to join in. (My story does contain sensitive content such as suicidal ideation and self-harm. Please please please don’t ask to read if any of these can be potential triggers for you.)

Blog_div2

Today’s snippet is from a deleted scene that I absolutely love. On the way to a concert, Matt makes fun of Olivia for rolling her eyes too much, because apparently excessive eye-rolling can cause your eyes to fall out.

“I mean, for all you know, maybe your eye fibres are already loosening up,” Matt says. “Since you roll your eyes so much.”

“No!” Olivia says.

“Although, I hear that there’s a way to remedy that.”

“What?”

“Oh… I don’t know,” He says. The corners of his mouth lift up into a smile. He can’t help it. He’s having too much fun.

“Come on, you gotta tell me,” She says.

“At a price,” He says.

“What? What’s the price?”

“Hmm,” He says.

Except, there is something that Matt wouldn’t mind doing. As they walk side by side, they are so close that their shoulders are just an inch apart, which means their arms are just an inch apart, which means their hands almost touch. Matt’s hands feel wet and clammy, he wipes them on his jeans.

“Come on, Matt!” Olivia says.

“We could, maybe, you know, hold hands,” Matt says. But at that moment, a streetcar screeches past on its tracks, and a group of teenagers chase after it, pushing between Matt and Olivia. When they are gone, and the street is quiet again, there is a wide gap between them.

“What’s that, Matt?” Olivia asks.

WIPpet Math: 25 sentences for the 25th of October (Phew! That was easy :’) )

WIPpet Wednesdays is a blog hop where writers can share a snippet from their WIP. The only stipulation is that the excerpt is somehow related to the date. Be sure to check out some of the other lovely WIPpet snippets here. Thank you Emily Wrayburn for hosting.

How is your week going? What is the title of your WIP and how did you think of it? Any naming tips? Are you guilty of rolling your eyes?

32 thoughts on “WIPpet Wednesday: The Price

OH, I will miss you SO MUCH while you’re away, Sophie! 😦 I hope you’ll have an amazing time in China, though ❤
    I wish I had tips for naming WIPs, my WIP doesn't have a name either, at the moment, I just can't decide or find the one that sounds…well, like it's the one? If that makes any kind of sense. I'm hoping that you'll find your one title though ❤ ❤ And congratulations again on finishing your WIP, this is so exciting! If I'm being honest, I really love, love, LOVE all of your snippets and I am really curious about your story, but I have never beta-read anything in my life, ahah 🙂
    I hope you're having a lovely week, Sophie! ❤ ❤

I will miss you so much too Marie!! Thank you! There are some cultural differences between me and my relatives in China (I am so Canadian now haha…) but I am hoping that the trip will go well 🙂
      Yes that is exactly how I feel about my novel! I thought of some names but none seem just right. I am hoping that a name will pop into mind when I am least expecting it. Hope you will encounter the perfect title while you are editing 🙂
      Thank you Marie and I am so glad to hear that you love my snippets ❤ To be honest I just beta-read my first novel this month! You would just read the story as you would any other book, and then share your thoughts with the writer. I will be making more revisions afterwards and posting it somewhere (here or on Wattpad), so you can also wait to read it there! It is completely up to you 🙂

• Marie says:

Oh I hope everything will go well, but I’m sure it will be great to be with some of your relatives again ❤️
        Ohhh, okay. I don’t know why, but for some reason I thought it was supposed to be harder than that or that I had to be qualified or something, ahah. I wouldn’t want to bother you, though – I will wait to read it if you decide to post it on your blog or on Wattpad, I’m sure it will be AWESOME ❤️❤️❤️

Yes I haven’t seen my relatives in years so I am looking forward to spending more time with them :’)
        Haha there really isn’t any qualifications for beta-reading (at least I don’t think so?) That’s all right if you want to wait until the final draft though. I’ll keep you guys updated about that 🙂 Thank you so much for your encouragement Marie ❤ 🙂

• Marie says:

You’re so welcome, Sophie. I really loved all of your snippets and I will be looking forward to the moment you’ll publish more on here or on Wattpad, for sure! ❤ ❤

Oh I hope you have an incredible time in China Sophie, and already I’m excited about the snippet from your new WIP although I’m a little sad there’s be no more snippets from Olivia and Matt’s story! 😀
    I can’t say I have any tips on naming WIPs. My one for NaNo currently has a rough draft title but I know that will change so I may just do what you’ve done and call it my untitled WIP! 🙂
    Also I roll my eyes a lot, like so much, and at really inopportune times too (mainly when I’m at work and someone does something that grates on my nerves.)
    Great post, and again I hope you have a great time in China. 🙂 ❤

Hello Beth ❤
      Thank you!! I will try to enjoy China- I am so Canadian now that going back to visit China will be kind of a culture shock haha :’)
      Maybe one day the perfect name for your WIP will come to mind. That is what I am hoping will happen for my novel!
      I roll my eyes occasionally at work too, though I try to do it behind people’s backs so that they won’t get angry (people can get scary at my workplace haha…)

• Beth (Reading Every Night) says:

That’s all right. 😀 ❤ Oh it can be strange going to countries so different to the ones you're from. Hopefully you'll get past the culture shock quickly though! 😀
        Here's hoping right? I guess we just have to go through countless other names until we hit on that perfect one (I'm just as bad at naming characters as I am naming my WIPs)
        Oh I try and do it when people are looking the other way, I just feel one day I'll have the bad luck to really miss time it! 😀

Haha yes! Let’s hope that we both come up with good names for our wip! 🙂 I bet it will come when we are least expecting it..
        I don’t mind naming characters as much. I usually give them the first name that comes to mind, but I do end up changing them a gazillion times afterwards haha :’)

• Beth (Reading Every Night) says:

Oh probably. I always find my best ideas come when I’m thinking of something completely different. 🙂
        I always try and find the perfect fit, and it can take me ages. There’s one character for my upcoming WIP who I can not find a name for at all. He’s just going to have to be nameless I guess. 🙂

Best of luck on your name-hunt! Sometimes I meet someone with a cool name and think “hey, that could be the name for my character!” That’s one source of inspiration for my character names haha…

Hope you have a great time in China!
    My week is moving smoothly (hadn’t happened in a long time) but the weekend will be hectic between national holiday, Halloween party and the usual chores!
    My working title is “Tales from the Galactic/Astral Empires” and it’s kind of cover title for everything I’ve created so far. I am so bad at giving names I’d really welcome rather than give any tips! I don’t think I roll my eyes but I’ve got plenty of ways to show my frustration/impatience.

Thank you Michael! That’s great to hear that your week is moving smoothly. Seems like you have a busy but fun weekend coming up! Is the national holiday to celebrate when Greece was established?
      Yes I noticed that it is your blog title! It sounds quite epic 🙂

4. jlgfellers says:

So very sweet. Sometimes it hurts to cut stuff, doesn’t it? Even good things hit the floor at times. And a WIP can include material in rewrites to, just so you know. It doesn’t all have to be in the first draft.

5. debbiemcgowan says:

Thanks for sharing this snippet…even if it did end up on the editing floor. :/ Yep, I roll my eyes, LOL. My current WIP title came from making the cover first (that’s my procrastination) and the cover model is holding a book with blank pages, hence ‘Tabula Rasa’. It inspired the plot…a bit. Not very well, but still. I’d really like to beta-read this. 🙂

Have a great trip!

6. AM says:

Aw, I see why it would hurt to cut this one. It’s very sweet. Poor Matt, getting cut off like that!

I feel you on naming things. It’s taken me 3 novels and an anthology to name a series, and I had to poll readers for advice. I’m awful at naming things!

I hope your trip is good. Looking forward to your next set of snippets.