Renegades is one of my latest favourite binge-reads. Looking forward to sharing this review with you guys!
Secret Identities. Extraordinary Powers. She wants vengeance. He wants justice.
The Renegades are a syndicate of prodigies — humans with extraordinary abilities — who emerged from the ruins of a crumbled society and established peace and order where chaos reigned. As champions of justice, they remain a symbol of hope and courage to everyone… except the villains they once overthrew.
Nova has a reason to hate the Renegades, and she is on a mission for vengeance. As she gets closer to her target, she meets Adrian, a Renegade boy who believes in justice — and in Nova. But Nova’s allegiance is to a villain who has the power to end them both.
- This was a super addictive read. Once I started I couldn’t stop.
- I liked the MCs. Nova was sassy, quick on her feet, and had lots of cool moves. Adrian had a strong moral compass and a soft heart. The pair also had amazing chemistry. I really liked the secret identity and enemies-to-lovers vibes that were happening.
- The secondary characters were great too. For books with a huge cast of secondary characters, sometimes I find it hard to keep track of who’s who in the beginning, but I didn’t find this at all in Renegades. I liked that the secondary characters also had their own personalities and quirks.
- I liked the theme of the story– that good and bad weren’t absolute, and that heroes and villains were in shades of grey. In this book we see Nova torn between the Anarchists, who had always been her allies, and the new friends she made in the Renegades.
- I was not too convinced about Nova’s motivation. I understood Nova’s personal motivations for bringing down the Renegades but I didn’t quite get her moral reason. This was repeated again and again in the novel but it sounded all vague and high-level to me. I would’ve preferred if that part was just left out.
- I was hoping that more would happen by the end of the novel that didn’t happen, so I was disappointed haha. But it also meant I’ll be reading the next book.
Renegades was a fun and speedy read, full of great characters and awesome character chemistry. If you love superheroes, then this should be on your TBR!