NaNo Day 7 Check-In // My first write-in experience!

Copy of Hello Preptober!-3

Today we are at day 7 of Nanowrimo and… (gasp) almost 1/4 of the way through! Are you taking part in Nanowrimo? If so, how has the first week been?

I am proud to say that I’m surviving! Hurrah!!!!

giphy

This past week has been a rollercoaster for me, physically, mentally and emotionally. I haven’t written so many words each day consistently while still working. Also, being a creature of habit, it was difficult for me to adjust my schedule around Nanowrimo and other changes happening in my life. (If only the rest of life would pause for a moment during Nano! hahaha….)

However, overall I am enjoying the Nanowrimo experience. And since this is the first week, I am still figuring out what works and what doesn’t! Today I want to share with you guys my overall progress and my experience with my first write-in!

My Progress

I’m proud to announce that, as of Wednesday November 7, 6:30AM Pacific Time, I am at 15519 words!!!!

Which is CRAZY haha. I swear I haven’t written so quickly in such a short period of time during the usual work week. Prior to starting Nanowrimo, I was doubtful that I could even do the 1667 words a day, nevermind anything extra. However I was positively surprised by how smoothly the writing progress went.

Here’s my graph!! (As you can see I am super proud of myself :’) )

Screen Shot 2018-11-06 at 10.22.09 PM.png

What’s working

• MY OUTLINE has saved me so many times in moments of doubt!!!! When I am barely awake during my morning pre-work writing session and after a long day at work, I like to look at my list of scenes and know EXACTLY what I am going to write next.*
  • Cutting back on reading and blogging time. However much I love these activities, if I want to fit Nanowrimo in my daily schedule, something has to go!
  • Getting involved with the community! I love having writing buddies. Being able to see everyone’s progress, seeing that others are working hard, motivates me to continue writing as well. I’ve also been tweeting!
  • Going to write-ins! More on that!
  • My journal! I love using a weekly calendar to track the tasks that I have to do, and to track my progress as well.

*That being said, I am a plantser (= pantser+planner) at heart and my typing fingers follow my heart and my heart doesn’t always follow my brain SO I’ve been taking some liberties in the plot haha…

What’s not working (?)

• Writing in the mornings….. This week I’ve been testing out how I do with writing in the mornings. I like that I am able to get a head start so that there isn’t as much to write after work. However, I am not sure if morning writing is for me!

My Write-In Experience!

So this past Sunday was my first ever time participating in a Nanowrimo write-in (eeek!) By the way, for those who aren’t familiar with write-ins, they are local meet-ups where Nanowrimo writers get together (usually in a cafe or in a library) to tackle our WIPs together.

I was definitely nervous going to my first write-in. First, I was going to meet new people (which in itself makes me a bit nervous haha)! Second, I was going to write in a public place with a group of other writers, and I haven’t had this experience before. And thirdly, I didn’t know if it would be a productive writing session or if I would be distracted. However, I am always trying to challenge myself by doing new and different things, so off to a write-in I go!

Turned out that I didn’t need to worry at all. The group that I met on Sunday was friendly. We were all focused on getting some serious writing done that it was silent for 99% of the time. It took me a bit to get settled and into the mindset of writing in the presence of people I didn’t know well, but once I was there, I was on a roll! I was able to finish 2.2k in a 2.5 hour stretch which is great pace for me! Being surrounded by other writers, hearing the keyboard clicking and pen scratching really motivated me to keep writing.

Since then I’ve been to one other write-in on Monday morning prior to work, and I am going to one more tonight. I think write-ins will be a thing for me throughout this month. Overall, I loved the experience and would absolutely recommend it for anyone who is curious about attending a write-in!

Are you doing Nanowrimo this year? How is Nanowrimo going? What is working and what isn’t? Are you a morning writer? Have you been (or planning to go) to a Nanowrimo write-in?

Also! I’ll be continuing these check-in style posts every Wednesday. Let me know what you want to see more of! (Snippets/updates about my WIP? Self-care tips? Pep talks? Or just general sharing? :D)

Last but not least! Follow me on Twitter and let’s be writing buddies!

39 thoughts on “NaNo Day 7 Check-In // My first write-in experience!

1. Margaret @ Weird Zeal says:

Wow you’re doing amazing! Keep up the good work! 💃 I’m happy to hear that you’ve been able to make such wonderful progress and surprise even yourself!
    I’ve never been to a write-in myself but that sounds like such a good experience! Unfortunately there aren’t any near me so I probably won’t be able to go to any this year, but perhaps sometime in the future!

Thank you Margaret ❤ I am very happy with how Nanowrimo is going so far. There has been rough patches but overall it's been great. Thank you for your encouragement!!! Looks like you are making amazing progress as well 🙂 How is your WIP going?
      The write-in was a good experience, but no worries if you won't be able to attend one! I find that there is a lot of the Nano vibe online here on WP and on twitter! 🙂

I’m so happy to hear you’re doing so well, Sophie, that’s fantastic, I’m so happy and proud of you!! ❤ And going to a write-in! That sounds awesome, but I would also feel very nervous ahah. Maybe someday I'll go to one if there is one close to where I live, that sounds fun! 🙂
    I'm so happy you're making loads of progress and I hope to read more posts about NaNo! I'd love some self-care tips, pep talks and ALL THE SNIPPETS AHHH YES PLEASE, that would be SO GREAT, I would love that so much haha 😀
    Happy writing! ❤ ❤

Thank you Marie ❤ You are so sweet and encouraging 🙂 I was definitely a bundle of nerves attending my first write-in but it was worth it in the end. Even if there are no nearby write-ins, I find that there is a lot of support and fun in the online community too 🙂
      Oooo! Hmmmmm maybe I will post some snippets coming up 🙂 I'd love to see another snippet from your WIP too ❤ Happy writing!!

Thank you Kaleena ❤ Your encouragement means lots to me! The "what works and what doesn't" part was also for me to reflect about how things are going so far, so I am very glad to hear that you like reading about it as well 🙂

3. Mel says:

You’re doing so well! I’m so impressed with your progress, and being brave enough to do a write-in!

I tried NaNo for the first couple of days, then unfortunately decided I had to break up with my current WIP so now NaNo is…not going.

I look forward to reading more of your NaNo posts and cheering you on 🙂

I’m sad to hear that Nano isn’t going too well for you and that you decided to put a hold on your WIP. Do you think you’ll be able to continue it again? Maybe all it needs is an idea or a plot twist 🙂 Alternatively, it is not too late to start a new novel!

4. meandinkblog says:

Wow that’s amazing well done. All your hard work is paying off. The write-in sounds really nice and I am glad you had a nice time– I can imagine the keyboard clicking was loud there haha. I think I am a plantser too so I like to follow an outline but often delve into different routes on the way to the end haha.
    I don’t think I have a specific writing time yet– I think when I have hit something that I have a clear idea where to go and am on a roll I will write the most but getting there sometimes involves some procrastination but I have never compared it to time of day… maybe I should.
    NaNoWriMo is going alright for me and I definitely feel excited about writing but I have actually been quite busy lately so haven’t had that much time.
    I look forward to your other updates— it would be nice to see a few little snippets but obviously only what you want to do.

Thank you 🙂 Haha yes the keyboard clicking does sound loud when everything is quiet!
      Sounds like we may have similar habits when it comes to plantsing. It’s the best of both worlds right?

I get what you mean in that sometimes the hardest part is to get started!! Once I am writing and I catch some inspiration, I can get a lot of writing done all at once (provided that there is time!) I’m not too sure what time of day works for me either. So far anytime seems to be effective as long as I’m not too sleepy 🙂

That’s all right. Unfortunately life keeps going on and there isn’t always time to write! Hope that you will be able to find time, and that overall Nano is treating you well these days 🙂 Thank you for your encouraging comment ❤

• meandinkblog says:

You’re welcome. Yes quite a nice sound though.
        Haha I agree it is definitely the best of both worlds 😊
        Yeah that is definitely the way I feel. Yes being sleepy makes me just want to wrap up in a blanket and watch TV instead of writing. 😂
        Yes and I can always keep writing after November so I am not too stressed about the word count but it is nice that I am encouraging myself to write more if that makes sense. Thank you, you too. You’re welcome 💛

Never been to a write-in before, haha. I would be too distracted by the presence of people I can potentially chat with. Though it’s good you were able to concentrate. What really worked was friendly competition xD , especially from you because you write at a similar pace to me. Writing at night works for me, as I’m most energetic then and I don’t have time any other time of the day.

I am feeling sheepish that this book should be about Annabelle and Cadence, but I’m spending so much time on Justin and Tobakus, who were the last book’s couple. I can always restructure my books later on, though.

Haha yes! Friendly competition is great! I do agree that we work at similar paces so when you are ahead I feel motivated to write more 🙂 I am still confused about what time works best for me. I think I can write at any time during the day, however I do get sleepy after around 11:30 or midnight.
      Haha, sounds like some of your characters want to take over the show! Just keep on pantsing on and fix everything later (that’s what editing is for!)

• Sieran Lane says:

Well it was probably because I was tired so I hoped you would slow down as well, so I could go to bed earlier, take a break, etc. LOL. I have been going to bed at 3 am or later lately thanks to Nanowrimo. 😂 Not your fault. Just the nature of my schedule/ present life circumstances.

Wow 3am!!! That’s late. I’ve been sleeping less thanks to Nanowrimo as well, not the best for my health! Yesterday I was definitely feeling it.

So yes! sleep when you need to. Writing is secondary to our health, right? 🙂

I’m super glad the first week of NaNo has gone well for you Sophie (oh my god it seems insane that we’re already 1/4 of the way though! Like I knew that but didn’t really realise it you know?) It’s great you’re ahead too, at the moment I’m a little behind but I’m aiming to catch up today, tomorrow and this weekend, and not only catch up but get ahead too. 🙂
    I’ve actually had to cut back on blogging too. I had a lot of plans as to what I was going to get done this month but they’ve all fallen in a wayside when I got distracted by my WIP. I’m glad the write-ins have been a success for you, things like that are always a little nerve wracking at first but it seems like you discovered something new which you love, so added bonus.
    Great post, again I’m really glad NaNo is going well for you, and good luck with the rest of the month. 🙂 ❤

Hi Beth 🙂
      Our WIP does take a lot of time out of our lives right? That’s all right to be a little behind. Just keep it going and you’ll catch up!
      I did mean to reply earlier but I’ve been feeling overwhelmed by everything the past few days 😦 However now that it is the weekend, I am glad to have gotten some rest and I’m feeling much better now.
      How has Nano been the past few days? Hope writing is going well 🙂

• Beth (Reading Every Night) says:

Definitely, but it’s a lot of fun as well. I don’t tend to notice how much time I’ve spent working on my WIP. That’s definitely the plan. I’ve already written 1K words today but there’s still a lot more I want to get writing. 😀
        That’s all right, and oh I’m sorry you’ve been feeling a little overwhelmed, I’m glad you’re feeling a little better now, being able to rest always helps doesn’t it?
        Yeah not too bad, how has it been for you? 🙂

Absolutely! Many things can be fixed with a restful nap. Sounds like you are having fun with your WIP which is great 😀
        Nanowrimo is going well! I am determined to finish my novel this month so I’ve been getting down as many words as possible over the weekend 🙂

7. Caro @ bookcheshirecat says:

You’re doing amazing!! 👍🏻 I had a few problems fitting NaNo into my daily schedule too & had to cut back on my reading 😅

Sounds like these write-ins are a lot of fun! Sadly there aren’t any in my town 😦 but I have to check the dates for the virtual write-ins 🙂

I love the general sharing, but I would be very grateful for some self-care tips ☺️

Thank you Caro! You are doing great yourself!
      Yeah it is tough to fit Nano into our daily schedules, especially when we have so many other things on our plate right? There were a few days this week when I felt very overwhelmed juggling everything!

Write-ins are great, but I think that’s all right even if you’re not able to make it to one. It is fun to get involved in the online community too (like WP and twitter!) I haven’t been to a virtual write-in before but let me know how it goes if you get to participate 🙂

Got it! I’ll be brainstorming self-care tips over the next few days 😀