My WIP Aesthetics (Shapeshifter Edition)

Beauty!-3

You guys might know that I’ve been working on a novel titled Shapeshifter. I am about 25K words into my WIP, and I’ve been ranting about this WIP for a very long time, so……… it’s about time I tell you guys more about it.

The Blurb

The Rules of Shapeshifting:
Don’t get caught.
Don’t get attached.
Don’t (ever) be yourself.

I am a Shapeshifter – a soul without a body or an identity. I can live your life for a day – but at a price.

One day, I meet Charlie: Having transferred to a prestigious high school, she strives for top marks and all-around perfection. But Charlie stumbles through her classes and can’t seem to make any new friends.

Charlie requests a contract with me and I oblige. But what happens when Charlie doesn’t want her life back?

Character Aesthetics

Shapeshifter No. 7

Seven

Charlie

Charlie

Cody

Cody

Tammy

Tammy

Ruby

Ruby

A Snippet

“Okay…” The girl frowns, folding her arms and tilting back and forth on her feet. “So let’s say this Shapeshifting thing works, that I can just give you control over my body. How do I know you won’t mess up my life?”

“There are Laws that govern Shapeshifting, similar to laws in the real world as I am sure you are familiar with. As Shapeshifters, we are to uphold your preferences, values, beliefs, and interests. We are good at staying consistent to the essence of your being.”

She nods but hesitates. “One thing I don’t get. What’s the benefit for you?”

“Time,” I say.

“Time?”

“You can make your payment in increments of time. For each hour that I work, you will surrender an hour of your life to me.”

“I live an hour shorter?”

“Yes.”

She looks down at her shoes, as if she is in thought. “Okay,” She says.

“Okay?”

“I’ll do it. I bet you are a dream, you know, one of those dreams that insist on not being a dream until you finally wake up. But whatever. In case you’re real, I’m going to do it.”

“Okay.”

I send away a peripheral memory, clearing up a space on the wall of her mind. Using my finger, I trace out the terms of the Contract:

“I, Charlotte Lu, hereby give the authority over my mind and body to Shapeshifter Seven for the period of one calendar day, to begin on September 31 at 07:00 hours and end on October 1 at 06:59 hours, inclusive. I will assume all responsibility of any words spoken and action committed by the above Shapeshifter for the duration of this period. In exchange the Shapeshifter will do their due diligence in adhering to my beliefs and values. At the end of this contract, I will surrender the following currency as payment for Shapeshifting services: 24 hours (Mean Solar Time).”

So……… What do you guys think?! Yay or nay? Which character aesthetic do you like the most? Would you hire a Shapeshifter for a day?

weekly-writing-group-button-www-chelseavanderbeek-com_

Check out this weekly writing group link-up courtesy of Chelsea!

SaveSave

35 thoughts on “My WIP Aesthetics (Shapeshifter Edition)

1. Allana June says:

Wow! I’m really interested on the novel! Loved the snipped. I really liked the Tammy aesthetic. And… I would totally hire a shapeshifter so that she will finally ask the questions I don’t have the courage fo ask.

SOPHIE ahhhhhhhhh. I am so happy you did this post! I loved your aesthetics so much, they look incredible and I’m so in love with that snippet already. I can’t wait for you to share more about it and to continue writing, it’s such a promising idea! 😀

Glad that you like this idea Margaret 🙂 yes character aesthetics are so much fun to make (but they can suck away all of my time if I’m not careful haha). Cody is a sweetheart!

Oh wow Sophie this WIP sounds amazing! The blurb and the aesthetics had me interested (those are gorgeous aesthetics as well by the way) but the snippet pretty much had me hooked. I love this idea and I hope you post more about it because I really want to read more!
    Great post. 🙂 ❤

Cody’s aesthetic was my favorite. 😀 He’s very relatable, haha. Wow, 24 hours of your life doesn’t sound that bad. (This is probably what Charlie thought too, lol.) What real benefit does Charlie get out of this deal, though? Since the Shapeshifter has to imitate her perfectly, the Shapeshifter won’t be allowed to act “cooler” or “more impressive” in any way, or else she would be stepping out of Charlie’s bounds, right?

Nope the Shapeshifter won’t be able to act out of character. I think Charlie just wants to have a break from life and not face her family and classmates for a few days 🙂
      Cody is one of my favourites too!

5. meandinkblog says:

This looks absolutely amazing!! I don’t think I can choose a favourite character aesthetic they all look so good 😍
    I don’t know if I would hire a shapeshifter for a day maybe if I wanted to avoid doing something like a presentation 😂
    I love the idea such an interesting take on shapeshifters 💛

YAY! DEFINITELY YAY! 🎉 This is such a unique and fascinating concept, and I love your aesthetic board for Tammy 💕 Her clothing style seems similar to mine, so I’m already drawn to her character. And I’m really curious about Charlie’s relationship with people — what could be so undesirable in her life that she would give up time as payment? Isn’t time what so many people in this world feel like they don’t have enough of, and want more of? I am so excited to hear more about your WIP… I can’t wait! 😋

Hi Zoie! I’m glad to hear that you like this idea so far. Tammy is one of my favourite characters and yes she has a great sense of style 🙂
      Charlie doesn’t have any close friends at her new school, especially since she transferred in grade 11 when everyone already have their cliques. The value of life is something for her to learn in this novel 🙂
      Thank you so much for your encouragement Zoie ❤