3 Day Quotes Challenge: Day 3

Copy of Copy of Copy of Copy of Copy of MINI-REVIEW-10

Thank you Darren @ The Arty Plantsman for nominating me for this challenge!

Here are the rules:

1. Thank the person who nominates you
  2. Post one quote per day for 3 consecutive days
  3. Nominate three new bloggers each day (just 2 bloggers for today!)

f5d6c1896a0cc2f4d034b1e95727a9ea

Today’s quote:

I am always saying “Glad to’ve met you” to somebody I’m not at all glad I met. If you want to stay alive, you have to say that stuff, though.

— J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

This quote from The Catcher in the Rye made me think about the ways that we greet each other. Though it is a bit of a pessimistic quote, I like that it does hold some truth (and delivers it with a humorous punch.) Here in the Western world, it is a routine to say “it’s nice to meet you” to each new person that we meet. Sometimes I mean it and sometimes (to be honest!) I don’t. However if it is said on such a routine basis, does this decrease the meaning of these words?

Today I nominate Sieran Lane @ A Wild and Stormy Mind and Haidan @ Haidan Writes.

No worries if you don’t do like to do these types of challenges. On the other hand, if you want to do this challenge, consider yourself nominated!

27 thoughts on “3 Day Quotes Challenge: Day 3

Omg what does it say about me that I found Catcher in the Rye one of the most hilarious literary classics I have ever read? XD I couldn’t stop laughing at the book and had to leave the library because my laughter was too disruptive.

Aw, thanks for tagging me, but I think I’m just too busy for tags right now, what with reading, writing, and many other life things!! D:

I think you may be the only person I know who thinks Catcher in the Rye is hilarious!? I thought it is angsty and a bit depressing haha.

No worries! Take your time. Hope your writing is going well πŸ™‚

• Sieran Lane says:

Yes, I am endlessly baffled that most people don’t think that Holden is super funny… Yeah it was very sad, but I thought it was told in a way that was very comical… Maybe this is partly because I adore tragicomic humor. I go to a queer comedy show every week, and many comedians make their sad experiences sound really funny!

Thanks, my writing is coming along! I just have to be more patient with myself, haha.

• Sieran Lane says:

Hey speaking of, I’ve been feeling very accomplished lately because some people think I’m funny. XD Sometimes, I’m not even trying to be funny; I’m just saying something that is a matter of fact to me, but people laugh. XD

Here are some examples of things I said that are just facts to me, but others thought they were hilarious:

“I don’t mind being an ethnic minority, because when I go to Chinatown, I instantly become the majority.”

(Two of my white friends thought that was really funny. XD Maybe because they had never thought of that perspective before.)

At a queer comedy show, the host was playing several pop songs so that we can later vote for our favorite. One of the last songs he played, was Avril Lavigne’s “Girlfriend” in Mandarin. The host (who is white) asked if anyone in the audience who understands Mandarin could comment on it. Almost everyone in the audience were white, and I think only me and a Chinese guy sitting next to me understood the lyrics. I was sitting very close to the stage, and I muttered, “It was so-so.”

The host thought my response was hilarious and asked me to repeat my answer into the mic. XD

Well, it was a matter of fact to me that the Mandarin translation was so-so, and the singing wasn’t impressive either, since Avril is neither Chinese nor proficient in Chinese herself. But I guess it might sound funny if the person hearing my answer isn’t Chinese themselves, haha.

More examples:

I told one of my therapists that since I started passing as male, I became quite self-conscious. So I wouldn’t dare look at a woman for even one second too long, for fear that she will think I’m a perv or a creep. I don’t dare look at a man for a second too long either, because I’m afraid of homophobia. On Facebook, an older trans guy friend said that soon, you won’t be able to look at children either, because people will think you’re a pedophile. Yikes! So I said to my friend, “Well, at least I can still stare at dogs.”

Wow my therapist laughed at that and said I should do stand-up, because I’m good at one-liners. XD Lol, but my joke was in earnest, though. XD

One more example:
        I told my other therapist that I didn’t realize this before, but I’m actually very detail oriented, and am not so good at looking at the big picture. My therapist asked, “So, you see the trees rather than the forest?”

I said, “Actually, I see the twigs rather than the forest.”

And my therapist laughed. XD Once again, I was only saying what I saw as a matter of fact for me. Lolol. Still felt hyper validating for people to find me funny, though.

Lol I love these lines that you shared! They made me laugh as well πŸ™‚ my favourites are the ones about staring at dogs and twigs in the forest.
        I heard the mandarin version of Girlfriend and agree with your so-so rating haha.
        Sometimes I complain about gender inequality between men and women but in this case it sounds difficult to be a man! I often stare at people who are beautiful (both men or women) but I think I have more leeway since I’m female.

• Sieran Lane says:

Thank you!!! You are very validating. 😁

LOL right? I’ve heard of a Mandarin version of Pretty Boy sang by M2M. It’s kind of cute to listen to white girls sing in Mandarin, though, lol. I mean, I know I’m making the stereotypical assumption that white folks can’t speak Chinese well, but statistically, not many can…

Oh yeah, I complain about gender inequality too, in addition to transphobia and the erasure of nonbinary identities. But as a transmasc friend and I have been talking about, there are some settings where there is actually “female privilege”, for instance, car insurance is more expensive for men than for women. (One trans woman I know, jokes that she saved on car insurance by switching to female!)

Yeah it’s quite interesting when you’re transitioning from female to male (or close to male, in my case). You see how you’re compelled to change some of your social behaviors, like not being able to stare at human beings you don’t know anymore. I am pretty short, so my eye level would usually be approximately at breast level if the stranger I’m talking to is a woman. Obviously, I don’t want her to think that I’m checking out her chest, so I usually avoid making eye contact at all, and just look away most of the time, which may be seen as avoidant
        … Just yesterday, I saw a girl enter the subway who was quite beautiful, with long, smooth hair and impeccable makeup. But I took care to look away from her most of the time, even though she was sitting right opposite me. Back when I was presenting as female, no one would care if a little girl (I look like a teen) was staring at an older girl, lol.

Sometimes, I think maybe I could just tell them I’m gay–since being on testosterone for nine months, my attractions have shifted in that I’ve become almost completely androphilic, and feel very minimal attraction towards women now. But hey, cis gay men don’t have to come out to defend themselves, so I shouldn’t have to either!

One trans guy friend remarked, “Unless you are seriously transgender, I would not recommend being male.” LOLL I knew he meant that as a joke, but I couldn’t help laughing. You know I laugh at tragicomic jokes.

In a darker example, I’ve heard from a black female friend, that black men are much more likely to be pulled over for “speeding” by the cops, than black women are. And I read that if a black man calls the police, the police may automatically assume that the black man is the culprit…but this does not happen if a black woman calls the police.

I’ve never read Catcher in the Rye but I love that quote, in a way it’s kind of pessimistic which I feel fits my overall outlook quite well. πŸ™‚
    Also just to add I feel like when someone says it’s nice to meet you to me it doesn’t really have much more impact than someone saying hello so I get what you mean about the words having a sort of decreased value.

I find that (at least in Canada), people often say “nice to meet you” right away after being introduced, and then again at the end of a meeting. It makes sense to choose to say this phrase only when it is genuine, that way it means more πŸ™‚

Oh this is a great choice for a quote, Sophie! Indeed it is a bit weird to say that, we don’t say it in French though, so I guess that’s why I never really thought about it haha πŸ™‚

4. 3C Style says:

This one made me laugh. This is a form of politeness that is part of the interaction rituals that we engage in everyday life. Unconsciously or not, we reproduce gestures that are there to mark our sociability and respect for others. This is so natural that we do not even pay attention to it. Unless there is an error or mistake in the behavior. So, yes, your quote is highly appropriate.