The Harry Potter series was one of my favourite series as a child. Growing up, I dreamed about the day when I would receive my letter of admission to Hogwarts, get sorted by the Sorting Hat, and learn to fly on a broomstick!
However much I loved this series, I had to be honest in that I… don’t remember much about it. Which is why, last month I decided to take the plunge and re-read the HP series. And what can I say, I have absolutely no regrets.
In this post, I will talk about my feelings about books 2, 3 and 4. Click here to read my thoughts about the Philosopher’s Stone!
Harry Potter & The Chamber of Secrets
Evil is brewing in Hogwarts – Students are being turned to stone! As Harry, Ron and Hermione investigate this mystery, they uncover the story behind the Chamber of Secrets.
- Love Harry, Ron and Hermione, who are such a fun crew!
- And did I mention that Ron and Hermione are so cute!?
- The secondary characters are also lovable: from Dumbledore who always has something wise to say, to Hagrid who has a fascination with magical (and dangerous creatures), to Moaning Myrtle the miserable but adorable ghost.
- Love the comedic moments! JK Rowling’s humor is spot-on!
- Things begin to get a bit more serious…
Harry Potter & The Prisoner of Azkaban
A convicted murderer by the name of Sirius Black has broken loose from Azkaban, the infamous wizardry prison, and apparently he is after Harry Potter!
- We meet some very interesting characters, such as Lupin, the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, and Sirius Black.
- The plot moves forward: We learn about Dementors and how to defend against them…
- We also find out more about Lily and James Potter – Harry’s parents – when they were once students at Hogwarts.
- Hermione is a total badass.
- In all honesty, I find that this book is slower paced than the rest. Although I enjoyed it, it is probably my least favourite of the first 4 books. (Nothing happens for 75% of the book, and then BAM, everything happens!)
Harry Potter & The Goblet of Fire
The Triwizard Tournament, a competition between Hogwarts and two other wizardry schools, takes Hogwarts by storm! Even though students must be seventeen to enter, the fourteen-year-old Harry is selected as one of the competitors, and he must (somehow) survive the 3 tasks.
- SO action-packed. The pacing is spot on. Things just keep happening. And OH the plot twists (which I haven’t seen coming even though this is my third time reading this book- what??)
- The world building is epic. In this book, we learn about the magical world outside of Hogwarts, including the 2 other wizardry schools in Europe. Whenever I read HP, I get the feeling that the world is immense, full of wonder and mystery, and we are seeing just a snapshot of it.
- Love that Harry, Ron and Hermione are growing up. Their relationships with each other are becoming more complex although they are becoming ever closer as friends. I love the dynamics between Harry and Ron in this book – their friendship is not perfect although they care deeply for each other.
- And Ron and Hermione are SO SO SO cute!
- Love the secondary characters as well (Cho, Viktor, Fleur, Hagrid, Mad-Eye Moody, and !!!!CEDRIC!!!) Although these are secondary characters, they have personalities and we can’t help but care for them.
- This book has a more serious tone than the previous. We learn about the forbidden spells, and we learn more about Voldemort who is becoming stronger. And yes people die in this book…
- Despite the darker mood, the character interactions are packed with humor. I love the dialogues between Harry and his crew which I can read over and over again.
You guys can probably tell which one is my favourite book so far LOL 😉
Leave a Reply