Re-Reading Harry Potter (Books 2, 3 & 4)

Copy of Copy of Copy of Copy of MINI-REVIEW-4

The Harry Potter series was one of my favourite series as a child. Growing up, I dreamed about the day when I would receive my letter of admission to Hogwarts, get sorted by the Sorting Hat, and learn to fly on a broomstick!

However much I loved this series, I had to be honest in that I… don’t remember much about it. Which is why, last month I decided to take the plunge and re-read the HP series. And what can I say, I have absolutely no regrets.

In this post, I will talk about my feelings about books 2, 3 and 4. Click here to read my thoughts about the Philosopher’s Stone!

Harry Potter & The Chamber of Secrets

Evil is brewing in Hogwarts – Students are being turned to stone! As Harry, Ron and Hermione investigate this mystery, they uncover the story behind the Chamber of Secrets.

My Thoughts

• Love Harry, Ron and Hermione, who are such a fun crew!
  • And did I mention that Ron and Hermione are so cute!?
  • The secondary characters are also lovable: from Dumbledore who always has something wise to say, to Hagrid who has a fascination with magical (and dangerous creatures), to Moaning Myrtle the miserable but adorable ghost.
  • Love the comedic moments! JK Rowling’s humor is spot-on!
  • Things begin to get a bit more serious…

Harry Potter & The Prisoner of Azkaban

A convicted murderer by the name of Sirius Black has broken loose from Azkaban, the infamous wizardry prison, and apparently he is after Harry Potter!

My Thoughts

• We meet some very interesting characters, such as Lupin, the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, and Sirius Black.
  • The plot moves forward: We learn about Dementors and how to defend against them…
  • We also find out more about Lily and James Potter – Harry’s parents – when they were once students at Hogwarts.
  • Hermione is a total badass.
  • In all honesty, I find that this book is slower paced than the rest. Although I enjoyed it, it is probably my least favourite of the first 4 books. (Nothing happens for 75% of the book, and then BAM, everything happens!)

Harry Potter & The Goblet of Fire

The Triwizard Tournament, a competition between Hogwarts and two other wizardry schools, takes Hogwarts by storm! Even though students must be seventeen to enter, the fourteen-year-old Harry is selected as one of the competitors, and he must (somehow) survive the 3 tasks.

My Thoughts

• SO action-packed. The pacing is spot on. Things just keep happening. And OH the plot twists (which I haven’t seen coming even though this is my third time reading this book- what??)
  • The world building is epic. In this book, we learn about the magical world outside of Hogwarts, including the 2 other wizardry schools in Europe. Whenever I read HP, I get the feeling that the world is immense, full of wonder and mystery, and we are seeing just a snapshot of it.
  • Love that Harry, Ron and Hermione are growing up. Their relationships with each other are becoming more complex although they are becoming ever closer as friends. I love the dynamics between Harry and Ron in this book – their friendship is not perfect although they care deeply for each other.
  • And Ron and Hermione are SO SO SO cute!
  • Love the secondary characters as well (Cho, Viktor, Fleur, Hagrid, Mad-Eye Moody, and !!!!CEDRIC!!!) Although these are secondary characters, they have personalities and we can’t help but care for them.
  • This book has a more serious tone than the previous. We learn about the forbidden spells, and we learn more about Voldemort who is becoming stronger. And yes people die in this book…
  • Despite the darker mood, the character interactions are packed with humor. I love the dialogues between Harry and his crew which I can read over and over again.

You guys can probably tell which one is my favourite book so far LOL 😉

Which is your favourite book in the HP series!? Which Hogwarts house are you in? (I am and forever always will be a Hufflepuff LOL)

31 thoughts on “Re-Reading Harry Potter (Books 2, 3 & 4)

Great post Sophie, and I’m glad you’re enjoying re-reading this series too. 🙂 I think the fourth Harry Potter book is my favourite, just because it feels like a real turning point for the series where the stories get darker and you can really tell who the villain is you know? I love Harry, Ron and Hermione’s friendship throughout, but all the characters are amazing.
    Also yay for Hufflepuff because that’s my house too, best house right? We have Newt Scamander after all! 😀 ❤

Hello Annie! Yay! Glad to hear from another Hufflepuff! That’s great that you also love the Goblet of Fire. I don’t remember much about the movies- maybe it is time for a rewatch for me haha 🙂

I heard quite a few people say that the 3rd movie is their favourite – I’ll definitely have to start re-watching 🙂
      I agree with the pacing of the book though!

I’m so glad you’re enjoying your re-read of Harry Potter! I love how the books progressively get darker, the world and the relationships between the characters more complex, that’s one of the strongest suits of this series for sure! I hope you’ll love the rest of the series 🙂

Haha, I love how many exclamation points you have for Cedric! I find it so interesting that so far, the third book is your least favorite, because I know a lot of other people who share that opinion. I actually remember from my last reread that I picked the third book as my favorite! 🤔 I really liked the themes about family and Harry exploring more about how he’s connected to Hogwarts and Sirius Black, but maybe my choice of a favorite HP will change with my next reread 😊 I’m looking forward to your next HP reviews!

Hello Zoie! I also like Sirius Black and enjoyed learning more about Harry’s connection with his family in book 3- my only concern was that the pacing was too slow for the most part! I get impatient when I’m reading so I like fast paced books in general. I know quite a few people who loved the third book so I can see what you mean! Thank you Zoie ❤

Yeah, I don’t remember the books that clearly either, but I believe Book 5: The Order of the Phoenix was my favorite, partly because I like Fawkes, lol. The Goblet of Fire might be my second fav. Half-Blood Prince was too sad… I quite like how the Deathly Hallows seems to have significantly more poetic writing than the other books.

Lol, I keep getting Griffindor as my house.

Hi Sieran! Glad to hear that your favourite is book 5, since I am reading that now. To be honest I have almost no recollection of books 5-7, so I am looking forward to rereading them 🙂
      That’s awesome that you are a Gryffindor! You may be the first that I’ve met so far 🙂

Wow!! I thought I was boring that I got the house of the main characters. XD But thanks, you made me feel special, haha.

Woot woot, I love the last few books! Even if some of them are a little sad.