The Cramm Awards!

Copy of Copy of Copy of Copy of Copy of MINI-REVIEW

Thank you Beth @ Reading Every Night for nominating me for this award!

Rules:

• Include that tidbit about who created this awesome award;Β theCramm
  • Mention the person who nominated you
  • Share three things that motivate you to blog
  • Share three people who inspire you to blog
  • Share one thing you hope to do that will improve the world
  • Answer your challenge question
  • Nominate 10+ bloggers and give them a fun challenge question

What Motivates Me to Blog

1. Self-Expression

I am super clumsy with speaking. Sometimes I think one thing and another thing comes out of my mouth! When another person stares me down, I feel like I literally lose freedom of thought and cannot think (so I say the closest thing that comes to mind.) This is particularly the case around people I don’t know well. *cue awkward seal*

On the other hand, it is so much easier to write. On paper, I can say exactly what I mean and get my point across. I love having the headspace to think about what I write and having the freedom to go back and refine my words. Therefore blogging is perfect for me: Not only can I write, there are people who are there to read it! WOW.

2. Writing

Speaking of writing, this is what initially drew me to blogging. I’ve always loved writing novels, but for a long time I felt like I was writing in a vacuum. Although I shared my works with a small handful of close friends, I was terrified about showing them to other people. One day I decided to take the plunge and start a blog, so I could share what I write.

(At that time, sharing my writing with strangers online seemed less daunting than with people I knew in real life. However now I am just as terrified because I actually know you guys… lol :’) )

3. YOU GUYS!!

To be honest, when I started blogging, I had no idea what it was all about. I thought that I’d just write a post, cross my fingers, and hopefully other people will read it. But it’s so much more than that. Blogging is about making friends and being part of the community. That’s what made me love blogging so much. If not for you guys, I wouldn’t have stuck around for as much as I have πŸ™‚

People Who Inspire Me to Blog

I think this is going to be SO hard to narrow it down to three, since there are so many people and blogs that I am inspired by. Here is a shoutout to some of my favourite peeps πŸ™‚

drizzle-and-hurricane-books

1. Marie @ Drizzle and Hurricane Books: Marie is one of the first bloggers that I’ve met (almost a year ago – wow!) I love how her posts are honest, courageous and relatable. Marie has introduced me to Far from the Tree which is one of my favourite YA contemporary books so far. She is so sweet and I am happy that we’ve been in touch for so long.

orangutan-librarian-header-31

2. The Orangutan LibrarianΒ is constantly amazing me with her discussion posts, which are humorous and thoughtful. Thanks to her, I began to read more classics, such as Rebecca and The Book Thief.Β She inspires me to read and blog courageously. Also, she is friendly and approachable!

cropped-blog-header

3. Beth @ Reading Every Night: Beth’s blog is amazing- I love her thoughtful reviews and discussion posts. It is because of Beth that I decided to pick up Strange the Dreamer and continue the Daughter of Smoke and Bone series, which I glad for. I am very happy that we have met, and I always look forward to chatting with her.

One Thing I Hope to Do to Improve the World

Other than being a kick-butt pharmacist, I want to write a novel that will captivate people, break them down to tears, and maybe, just maybe, change the way they think.

Beth’s Challenge Question

You come across a time machine however it can only go either into the future or into the past, not both, and your first trip sets it in that mode forever. Would you choose to travel into the future or travel into the past?

The past! To be honest, modern life is complicated, isn’t it? There’s social media and FOMO, plane travel and long-distance relationships, longer life-spans and drugs and companies who want to capitalize on them. Sometimes I wonder what life was like back in the day, you know?

I Nominate Thee:

Darren @ The Arty Plantsman

Kelly @ Another Book on the Wall

Tiana @ The Book Raven

Tasya @ The Literary Huntress

Priyasha @ Books and Co

Dani @ Perspective of a Writer

Ivy @ Ivy’s Well-Used Library Card

The Orangutan Librarian

Norrie @ Reading Under the Blankie

Zoie @ Whisked Away By Words

And YOU πŸ™‚

My Challenge Question:

If you could be famous or rich, but not both, which would you choose and why?

Do you prefer to speak or write? What inspired you to blog? Would you rather be famous or rich?

45 thoughts on “The Cramm Awards!

1. artyplantsman says:

This is fascinating Sophie. So nice to hear more about you and thank you for the nomination! It may take some time to respond as I am hopelessly behind on award posts!

I already follow Marie and the Orangutan Librarian but thank you for bringing Beth to my attention!

2. ivysbooks says:

Thanks for the nomination Sophie! I liked your responses. I agree with the reasons you have for blogging which makes it tricky for me to be original. I’m sure I’ll come up with something 😁

Hello Ivy πŸ™‚ Haha no worries whenever I am tagged or nominated, I feel this way as well. However when it comes time for me to make my post, I usually end up thinking of some unique answers. Looking forward to your post!

Oh this is such a great post Sophie and I’m honored that you thought of me here ❀ I can't believe it has been so long already? Time really flies, but I am so happy that we started chatting and love every single time we do πŸ˜€ ❀
    I have to agree with you that I'm much more comfortable writing than speaking out loud, that's why I love blogging so much, I feel like I can express myself so much better that way, too πŸ˜€

Aw thank you Marie for your sweet comment ❀ Yes time really does fly!
      That's great to hear that you can relate about writing. I guess that's why we started blogging and continue to do it, right? πŸ™‚

I loved reading your post for this award Sophie. πŸ™‚ Writing is a brilliant reason to keep motivated when it comes to blogging, and I definitely agree with your first point as well because my thoughts are so much easier to put in order when I’m writing and can edit before posting than when I’m speaking to someone in real life. That awkward seal gif is 100% me as well. πŸ˜€
    You answer for the challenge question is great as well, I’d travel to the past, just because there are so many historical events I’d love to see first hand, and thanks so so much for the kind things you said about me/my blog. I always look forwards to our chats too and oh I’m so so glad I was able to get you into Strange the Dreamer and Daughter of Smoke and Bone. πŸ™‚
    Brilliant post, and thanks again Sophie. πŸ™‚ ❀

Hello Beth ❀ Glad that you can relate! I am hearing similar responses from other bloggers about preferring writing to speaking. I guess it makes sense because that's what attracts us to blogging in the first place right?
      And yes it would be interesting to see some historical events first-hand! I am also curious about how day-to-day like is as well. What do people do all day without internet? lol πŸ™‚
      Thank you for your sweet comment ❀ It's always fun to chat with you and I'm glad that I took your recommendations haha πŸ™‚

5. theorangutanlibrarian says:

I get what you mean about writing being easier. Love your answers here! And wow I’m so grateful for your kind words- that really made my day ❀ Thank you!! I absolutely love Beth and Marie's blogs too πŸ™‚ And your answer for how you want to change the world is amazing!! I hope you achieve it! πŸ˜€

6. Dani @ Perspective of a Writer says:

First thanks for nominating me Sophie! I didn’t get a pingback but I’m here anyway πŸ˜‰ I love that you say you blog for self expression! I don’t think I set out to for that reason but I can relate to that now… because now I can see that it has helped me immeasurably learn to interact better and communicate more. β™₯️ I love Marie, Orangutan and Beth so much! And their blogs are all something I aspire to. I think I’ll have to do this soon, it’s time to do a tag! Thanks.

Hi Dani! I am not sure why you didn’t get a pingback but maybe next time I’ll leave a comment when I tag you πŸ™‚
      That’s great that you find blogging helpful for self-expression as well. I also realized that I am more confident in my writing voice now that I blog consistently.
      Yay! Glad that you want to do this tag and I look forward to seeing your post πŸ™‚ Thank you Dani ❀

Hey, I’ll respond to both this post and your “3 Reasons Why I Blog” post together.

(Sorry, this is quite a long comment. Please bear with me!)

LOL I’m becoming borderline addicted to WordPress and blogging too. Remember us chatting about how to balance WIP writing time and blogging time? A good friend of mine who is both a writer and a blogger, recommended writing 1-2 blog posts a week. I might do less than that, depending on how busy my life gets. Honestly, I’m only writing a bit more right now because it’s the summer holidays, and my summer courses are starting in July. But still, it’s nice to see that I’m not the only one (sort of) addicted to blogs now. XD

Hmm, for some reason, I find that my memory for books is superior to my memory for movies. People would often talk about a movie I loved (e.g. Terminator or Star Wars), but then I wouldn’t remember the plot very well. :/ (I even forgot what Stormtroopers were, lol.) In contrast, some people have praised me for my memory of plot events and characters in novels, though I don’t always remember things.

For the longest time, I resisted starting a blog, despite many people encouraging me to do so, because: 1) I felt like I had no time, since I already complained about having too little time to write my novels. 2) I believed that when I publish my opinions in posts online, readers would think that those are my permanent opinions, when in actual fact, many of my thoughts and opinions shift as I gain more life experience and insights.

But I began to blog when I had fun with the WIP in GIFs activity (I created a blog JUST to play this game XD), and when I saw how much fun Haidan and her friends were having on WordPress. I think I got inspired by Haidan, you, and others here. In addition, for the time issue, I don’t have to stick to a regular schedule if I don’t want to; I can just write when I feel like it and am able to, since school can be mad busy. For the “commitment to my opinions” concern, I think many reasonable readers should understand that people can change their beliefs and attitudes over time; and if I’m really worried, I can always do what I’ve seen some bloggers do, to make some link from their old post to a newer post, explaining how their opinion has changed since.

Why do I blog? Here are a few reasons: 1) It’s an alternative way for me to communicate with Haidan and other friends. 2) I love the sheer freedom of it. I can write whatever I want, whenever I want, and not have to worry about pleasing professors or TAs anymore! 3) It’s a platform where I can talk about stuff I deeply care about, whether it’s about writing, life, philosophy, psychology, relationships, or anything else. 4) Wow, I feel that writing out essays for things I care about, is making my mind feel more organized and focused, lol.

For what you said, that maybe you can change how the reader thinks, well, from my life experience, even the most trivial thing we say, can have the potential to radically change someone’s life, sometimes through changing their beliefs. Imagine how much more power a story or essay could have on someone!

8. Sophie Li says:

That’s great to hear that you’re enjoying blogging so far! It sure gets addictive doesn’t it? I’d say post however often as you’d like, as long as you keep posting! Some bloggers post 4 times a week, some post once a week, and others post occasionally. It’s perfectly all right to start off with a bang and then find a rhythm that works for you πŸ™‚

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the WIP in GIFs tag! It is one of my favourites as well πŸ™‚

You’re right that opinions often change over time. If I were to read my past blog posts, there are probably some inconsistencies here and there too! It is perfectly all right to change our mind about something as long as we are being honest.

Sounds like your reasons for blogging are similar to mine. I also love the freedom to expressive myself and the community of bloggers. I think you are right that even the small things that we say can change someone’s life- there are some things that people said that changed my life for the better, and I’m sure they don’t even realize it.

Yeah, I’ll eventually find a rhythm, haha. Today, I got to do more work on my novel, and did a bit of planning/ drafting for my next blog article. πŸ˜€ Another great thing about blogging, is that it *makes* me reflect more deeply on my thoughts, feelings, and perceptions about the world. So I’m not just living on the surface with my scattered thoughts swirling in my brain, lol.

I did make some writer friends on a friend’s blog too. πŸ™‚ These places are great for socializing. I’m actually an extrovert, so I get energized by social interaction, even by online ones, lol! You might also see that I write a lot about friendships and relationships in general, haha. Relationships are a constant fascination for me. ^_^

Yes!! I love the interconnectivity of life. We’re all able to influence others around us, just as others around us can influence us. It’s almost magical how this works. πŸ˜€

Sounds like a productive day for you! Blogging definitely helps me organize my thoughts as well. Writing book reviews especially helps me process my feelings about a book I just read.

That’s cool that you’re an extrovert! I can tell that you have a lot of energy, at least when you write lol πŸ™‚ I am an introvert but I am fascinated by relationship as well, and people in general.

Yes we always influence people around us, even if we do not realize it πŸ™‚

• Sieran Lane says:

Oh, it wasn’t that tough, haha. I was feeling *really* desperate and gender dysphoric. :/ It was like I was slowly going insane. But I felt a lot better and happier after I started testosterone. πŸ˜€ It got even better after I cut my hair to this length (my hair used to reach down to my hips, lol), and strangers started referring to me by “sir,” “he/ him,” etc. Thank goodness. Being able to go to men’s bathrooms and the changing room was also really affirming.

10. 3C Style says:

Nice to learn more about you Sophie and thank you for introducing me to new bloggers. I already follow the Orangutan Librarian and she’s great. On my way to visit Beth and Marie’s blog.

Self-expression is definitely a big motivation for me to blog too! I think it’s so important to be able to speak strongly and eloquently, but at the same time, I think everyone should be able to choose their best form of communication and use it to the fullest, even if it means venturing away from public speaking. There’s definitely a societal push to make students be skilled at speaking, but I would never want to give up my love for expression through the written (or typed πŸ˜‹) word, so blogging is the second best thing to writing novels for me. 😊

Thank you so much for nominating me! I can’t wait to answer all the questions for this award!

Hello Zoie!
      Yes self-expression is one of my favourite reasons for blogging, and I’m glad to hear that you feel the same way as well. I agree that we have to speak publicly at work, school, interviews, and other real-life situations, so it is worthwhile to work on public speaking skills. However there is also the saying, “play to your strengths, forget your weaknesses”, since it is much easier to excel at an existing strength. So I think if writing is our strength, we should run with it πŸ™‚
      You’re welcome! Looking forward to seeing your post πŸ™‚