The Reading Habits Tag!

Copy of Copy of Copy of Copy of MINI-REVIEW

How are you doing today? A short life update: I just ran a 10K race while fighting off a cold- Don’t know how I survived, but here I am! (Should we run or exercise when we are sick? This is something I am always confused about…)

I also have this coming week off from work (yay!)

Anyway, since I’ve been on a roll when it comes to tags, thought that I will do another one. I came across The Reading Habits Tag on Jasmine’s Reading Blog and thought that it was super fun, so I thought that I’d… erh, well, tag myself πŸ™‚

1) Bookmarks or random piece of paper?

Don’t get me wrong, I love the idea of pretty bookmarks and invested in a few myself in the past, but I could never keep track of them! I end up misplacing them around my apartment or inside one of my books, and never find them ever again! So, more often than not, I am using a random piece of paper, such as a grocery store receipt (which, ironically, I keep using for a long time and never lose.)

2) Stop reading randomly or after a chapter/certain amount of pages?

Because 90% of my reading happens on public transit, it means that I stop whenever I reach my destination, whether it is when the characters are confessing their love to each other or when they are in the middle of fighting the villain in the climactic scene at the end of the book. It’s annoying when I have to put down the book when it gets exciting!

3) Do you have a certain place at home for reading?

Most of the time I am reading on the train, however I also can be found reading in bed before going to sleep or listening to an audiobook at the gym!

4) Do you eat or drink while reading?

Nope! Reasons being:

1. It’s hard to eat without getting food on the book!
  2. I love food and I love books, so when I eat food I want to focus on the taste of the food and when I read I want to focus on the content of the book!

5) Multitasking: Music or TV while reading?

Music only when it is an instrumental or in a language that I cannot understand, otherwise… I get distracted.

I don’t have TV but if I did, the same criteria would apply!

6) One book at a time or several?

Usually I have one audiobook and one print/eBook going on at one time. I listen to the audiobook when I am at the gym and the print book during other times.

7) Reading at home or everywhere?

Public transit! Gym! Waiting rooms! Basically, whenever my mind is unoccupied πŸ™‚

8) Reading out loud or silently?

Silently, unless there is a quote that I really love and want to share with the other people around me!

9) Do you read ahead or even skip pages?

Nope! Sometimes my mind wants to (especially when it is a really really exciting/dramatic scene and I desperately want to know what happens and if my favourite character survives) and I have to force myself to not skip ahead a few paragraph haha πŸ™‚

10) Breaking the spine or keeping it like new?

I try to keep it like new, though it feels more comfortable to hold a book after breaking in the spine. I also don’t mind buying used books with spines already broken in.

11) Do you write in your books?

Nope, unless it is for English class.

That’s it! Thanks for reading! I tag these awesome people:

Lois @ My Midnight Musing

Crystal @ Paper Royalty

Kristen @ Metaphors and Moonlight

Mel @ A Word and a Whisper

Cassie @ Paperback Cassie

And of course… YOU!

Did you participate in a race or a sport event recently (or are you planning to do one?) Would you exercise when you are sick or would you stay home and rest up? What are some of your reading habits?

30 thoughts on “The Reading Habits Tag!

Ahhh you are CRAZY for running for so long?! While being sick?! I hope you are feeling okay, Sophie?! ❀
    I am just like you about bookmarks, I always end up using some random receipt and… well, I always manage to keep them somehow, while I never hold on to bookmarks? That's so weird haha, I guess we are meant to use receipts πŸ˜› I also have to force myself NOT to read ahead sometimes, it's haaaaaaard hahaha. πŸ™‚
    Lovely answers! πŸ™‚

Hello Marie ❀
      Yes I think I am a bit crazy lol!! Looking back, I can't believe that I did that. However I already paid for the race ($60!!) and it seemed like a waste to not do it :')
      Haha receipts can be quite useful right?? On the plus side, we are making more use of them rather than just throwing them away, so maybe it is better for the environment? πŸ˜› It's funny that we hang on to them longer than actual bookmarks!
      Thank you Marie ❀ Glad to hear that we have some similar reading habits!

Hello Norrie!
      I love the idea of spending the day in bed and reading, but “the show must go on” part of me would never let me get away with it haha. Aw thank you for your sweet comment πŸ™‚

Hello Wendleberry!
      Yes it’s hard to stop in the middle of an exciting scene! That’s the tough part about reading on the commute, however I also love it since I always look forward to getting on the train πŸ™‚

I feel like pretty much all your answers could be mine for this tag as well Sophie! I love the idea of bookmarks, and I have loads dotted around everywhere, but I can never seem to find them when I’m in the middle of reading so I reach for the closest thing to hand (which more often than not ends up being my train ticket!) Also yeah I do most of my reading on the train so as much as I prefer leaving a book at the end of the chapter it doesn’t always work out that way. πŸ˜€
    I’d worry too much about damaging my books if I ate near them, and oh I used to skip ahead while reading, but now I don’t so I’m a reformed bookworm when it comes to that.
    Great post, and great answers for this tag as well Sophie. πŸ™‚ ❀

Hello Beth ❀
      Haha yay for impromptu bookmarks! As long as they do the job right? πŸ™‚ The pretty bookmark that I got at a crafts fair is probably in one of the books on my shelf, but I just can't find it haha.
      Oh yes that's the tough part about reading on the train! However because of this, I am usually look forward to my commute πŸ™‚
      Glad that we share a lot of these reading habits πŸ™‚ Thank you Beth!

• Beth (Reading Every Night) says:

Definitely, even a scrap of paper is better than folding the pages of the book over! I feel like if I had pretty bookmarks I’d worry about damaging them the same way I damage my books you know?
        I always look forwards to my commute. People at work ask me how I can cope with such a long travel time but I read so I don’t tend to notice (sometimes I want my journey to be longer so I can read more!)
        That’s all right. πŸ™‚ ❀️

Absolutely! Years ago I used to dog-ear my books (horrible I know!) but thankfully I am over that haha πŸ™‚ And yes I get that part about not wanting to damage the pretty bookmarks.
        I get the same reaction when I tell people about my commute haha. They never seem to get it when I tell them that I like it since I have a good book to read πŸ™‚

3. PaperbackCassie says:

Thanks for the tag! I’m sick right now too and I haven’t wanted to leave my bed. I don’t know how you ran a 10K, that is seriously impressive! The few times I’ve exercised while sick I did feel better after, but who knows. πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ
    I hope you start to feel better soon! πŸ’›

Hello Cassie!
      You’re welcome – I hope that you will like this tag if you have a chance to do it πŸ™‚
      I had already paid for the race ($60!!) so I thought I might as well do it :’) I did feel less congested during the race though. Thank you and hope you feel better soon as well!

4. Kristen @ Metaphors and Moonlight says:

Yikes, a 10K while sick?? You wouldn’t see me doing that, haha. Yep, I always lose bookmarks, so random papers it is! And I also love to read in bed! I love your second point about eating and reading at the same time. I will literally cover the page with my hand to keep my eyes from darting ahead during those dramatic scenes πŸ˜› Thanks for the tag!

Hello Kristen! Haha yes in hindsight that was pretty crazy and I probably wouldn’t do it again. Glad to hear that we share some of these reading habits. Sometimes I cover the page with my hand to prevent myself from reading ahead too haha πŸ™‚ Hope that you will enjoy this tag!

I do agree that there is no wrong answer when it comes to reading habits! It doesn’t matter how we read as long as we read, right? πŸ™‚ You’re right that it is always interesting to read about the person behind the blog πŸ™‚