Pole Diaries: January

Pole Diary

Warning: There are some pictures of, um, people on, um, poles. So if you are sensitive towards this type of content, please skip this post and come back on Monday πŸ™‚

One of my goals this year is to post more about my non-bookish hobbies, so… Yes! I am making another post about pole! Eeeeeeek! (That’s me being excited and nervous at the same time!)

giphy

I want to share with you guys two moves that I am VERY VERY SUPER DUPER EXCITED to have learned in the past few months. I’ve been working on these since forever, and I am SO GLAD that I can finally do them without, well, falling on my face.

The first one is the twisted-gripΒ Ayesha:

IMG_5134

As you can see, this is a move that requires a lot of grip strength and arm strength, and some balance as well. (Without enough balance, you would just tip over to one side.)

It is called a twisted-grip Ayesha because of the positioning of my top hand. The twisted grip makes this move a lot easier because your grip is more secure. I am still working on the regular grip Ayesha, which really scares me!

ae206fc55a2e614de546e86d12ffa148

You guys might have seen this picture from one of my previous posts! This is a much more beautiful Ayesha. See how her legs are angled parallel to the ground? On the other hand, when I do this move, my legs are tilted upwards. One of my upcoming goals is to improve my hip flexibility to be able to make this move look better.

The second move that I am proud of is the BRASS BRIDGE!!!!!!

IMG_5102

This is a pretty difficult move to get into (it takes like a bajillion steps!!) Also, if you do this move wrong or slip out of it, YOU WILL FALL ON YOUR FACE. (Hence the mat underneath me.) The secret to this move is that it is ALL in your knee pit.* Your hands do almost nothing and are kinda there for a placebo effect.

*Knee pit is a term that I learned once I started pole dancing. It essentially is the back of your knee, which you use to grip the pole in moves such as this. It like your armpit except for your knee. πŸ˜‰

However, this move doesn’t look very impressive yet. Here is how it is supposed to look like:

22552495_1434549196600646_8903168285369005470_n

See that CRAZY back arch!? (Which is pretty much non-existent in my version of the move.) Back flexibility is something that I want to work on this year. Flexibility in general really isn’t my forte. I can muscle my way into many moves but I get stuck when it requires bendiness :’)

My Pole Goals:

1. Improve hip and back flexibility by stretching lots.
  2. Practice the regular grip Ayesha and the handspring Ayesha.**
  3. Find a pole studio in Vancouver where I have recently moved to.
  4. Set up my own pole & crash mats at my new place!

** I haven’t talked about the handspring Ayesha in this post. That’s because I don’t have any photos/videos to show you guys since it doesn’t exist yet!

PS. Thank you everyone for your kind wishes for my flight from Toronto to Vancouver! Charles and I have landed safely in Vancouver and moved into our new place. However, there has been some miscommunication between the building and property managers and… basically they are not sure anymore if Charles can stay (he is a greyhound which is considered a large breed). SO we might be kicked out 😦 😦 #life #adultingREALLYsucks

Otherwise we are fine and dandy :’)

Let me know if you like this post, and if you want to see more updates about my pole journey! What do you do to stay fit? What are your fitness goals this year?

24 thoughts on “Pole Diaries: January

1. Mbalenhle says:

I have always wanted to do pole dancing for fitness reasons but unfortunately for me, there isn’t any pole dancing school where l stay. I recently read somewhere that pole dancers don’t actually spin around the pole, the pole is that one that spins. Is that true? 😯 And yes please, more updates πŸ™Œ

Hi! Yay I am glad that you liked this post! Usually, poles have two settings- spin and non-spin. You can do spinning moves on the non-spin pole. However certain moves will only spin on the spin pole. Hope that makes sense haha? I know some pole dancers who practice on their own pole at home- that is one option if you don’t have a studio near by πŸ™‚

• Mbalenhle says:

I was so fascinated when I heard that there are poles that spin. Thanks for further enlightening me πŸ€—. Haha. I wish l could get myself a pole at home but hey l still stay with my mother and black parents don’t play like that πŸ˜‚πŸ’”

Oh I see πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ I know what you mean! Although my Asian parents support my hobby, they wouldn’t want a pole in their home either πŸ™‚ Now that I moved out, however, I can do what I like at my place! Hope you will get a chance to try pole dancing in the future!

Hi Sophie. πŸ˜€
    Wow those moves are impressive, I think even though you’re not quite at the finished version of either of them you’ve still made really really impressive progress so far. I can’t even imagine the upper body strength you’d need for the first one and the back arch in that second one is almost insane. I think it’s great to see you posting more of your non-bookish hobbies, I can’t wait to hear more about them.
    Great post as well. πŸ™‚ ❀

Amazing post Sophie! You are doing fine on the pole! I only walk and cycle a bit to keep a modicum of healthy life, I should be ashamed of myself…
    I hope everything works out well with the owners and Charles.

That’s such a great post, I love it when you talk about your passions and DAMN, these are impressive moves, just, HOW do you do that without falling on your face?? I know I would, haha. That’s so impressive and I think you are already so good. Hope you’ll keep on making progress! ❀
    Also really happy to hear you landed safely, I'll keep my fingers crossed so that you'll be settled in your new place and okay soon ❀ ❀

Thank you Marie ❀ I am glad that you enjoyed this post!! I had a few close calls before where I would have fallen on my face if not for my instructor who caught me haha XD The key is practice practice practice, and to never try a new move without a spot!
      Aw that is sweet of you, Marie! I still have a few things to get organized in my new place, but things are coming along well πŸ™‚ Hope you are doing well ❀