27 Things that I Learned at 27

27 Things

Hi everyone!

So……….. Apparently this weekend I am turning 27!? It’s funny because it seemed like a short while ago when I was still 20 haha… Where did the last 7 years go!?

(They say that time flies when you get older. One day I’ll be 65 and think, “Where did the last 45 years go!?”)

To be absolutely, positively honest, I am not fond of my own birthday. I LOVE birthdays and celebrating them with other people. However, when it comes to my own birthday… I’ve been terrified of this day since October.

Being an introvert, I dislike being in the centre of attention. I also don’t want people to feel like they have to get me a present. (Psst… Because, well, now that I am an adult, I don’t always get my friend birthday presents. Terrible friend I am, I know!)

On the other hand, I do want to be surrounded by other people on my birthday. So… What happens is that each year on January 7, I invite my friends out to dinner hoping that no one knows that it is my birthday. The latter is only sometimes successful :’)

However, I have no qualms with the “getting older” aspect of birthdays. I really do believe in one year older, one year wiser. Looking back, there are things that I am glad to have learned, that I didn’t realize 7 years back.

Here are some things I’ve learned πŸ™‚

27) Tea should be steeped for 2 minutes, not 20

17) So are Barack Obama, Mark Zuckerberg, and JK Rowling

16) I pay lip-service to travelling but

15) My favourite part is FLYING and DRIVING

a5675c97b1a765b12b9f813ceab3d3be.jpg

14) To be honest I don’t mind a staycation

13) My passport may be Canadian, and I love Canada and Canadians but

12) I am forever Chinese (and proud)

3ea755df0e6036ef9dc4d1a61ef9c821

11) I can be alone without being lonely

10) Less is better

9) Stay away from negativity because

8) There is a silver lining in most situations and

cda3593f7219542f829150747906a144

7) I am very extremely superbly lucky

6) Adulting is hard (job, rent, making your own food)

5) That dream we dreamed as little kids seem far away but

4) Hold on, small steps, set goals

3) Rome was not built in a day

2) Measure my accomplishments by myself, not others

1) Never ever stop dreaming

3aa828df564926577eb0317839e7cd95

Photos courtesy of Pinterest πŸ™‚

Do you like birthdays? How do you celebrate your own birthday? Do you like getting older?

39 thoughts on “27 Things that I Learned at 27

1. artyplantsman says:

I love this post Sophie and I wish you a very Happy Birthday. I feel exactly the same way as you do about them as I am also an introvert of course. I would love to spend my birthday with a small chosen group of friends but I never could stomach being the centre of attention in a group of (extrovert) relatives, even as a child. I am still proud that I did not go to my own 18th Birthday party organised against my explicitly stated wishes by my parents. They still don’t know it was me who called the cops and had them shut down at 2am because I was trying to sleep upstairs…..

2. natalias2cents says:

Sophie, HAPPY EARLY BLESSED BIRTHDAY!!!! Getting older can be scary soley because gravity is no longer your friend. 🀣 I will be 38 next month and Lord knows 40 is right around the corner. Don’t think of it as getting older, you are just seasoned. πŸ˜‰

This is such a wonderful post, Sophie, and a very happy early birthday to you if I forget on the exact date! I hope you will have a wonderful year and celebrations with friends and closed ones ❀
    I am not really a fan of birthdays lately, because they remind me of how time flies and how adult I am getting more and more with each step, but I feel like I am still 19. I want to be 19, ahah. (I am 24). It is SO hard not to use adverbs, I know I do probably 99% of the time hahaha. Here, I just did it again πŸ˜‰ And it's great to remind ourselves to never stop dreaming. Life and adulting is hard… but we need to have dreams and hold on to these πŸ™‚

Haha yes birthdays also remind me that time is ticking! It used to bother me more than it does now. Some people have 70 years to live and some people have 14. Just because we are a year older doesn't mean that we have less time to live? (if that even makes sense haha πŸ™‚ ) It also inspires me that there are many older women who are athletic, or accomplished, or well-dressed. I think being older isn't necessarily a bad thing πŸ™‚
      We should always hold on to our dream πŸ™‚

4. Dani @ Perspective of a Writer says:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SOPHIE!! This was such a beautiful post. It makes me excited to read your book someday… I agree with really everything you said… I’m a quarter Japanese, don’t look it and haven’t ever been to Japan but it is certainly in the fabric of who I am. And just since we’re saying… EDITING IS HARD, but also fun and satisfying too ❀

Thank you for the sweet message Dani ❀ That's great that you still connect with the Japanese part of you. I think that our heritage defines us, no matter how long it's been.
      Haha yes editing is tough! However it is always a satisfying feeling to get a scene just right, or to type the last word in the manuscript πŸ™‚

I love the way you look at things and you are already wiser than most people out there (including me)!
    I don’t throw parties, sometimes I just have a quiet affair with family (but cake is obligatory).
    You are one of the nicest persons I’ve met online and I wish you many happy birthdays, prosperity and happinnes!

Thank you Michael! Haha I am sure you are actually wiser since you have more years of experience. I love quiet get-togethers with friends and family as well πŸ™‚
      Aw thank you for the kind words! Wishing you happiness in 2018 as well πŸ™‚

I agree with the saying that if you’re one year older, you’re one year wiser too. I love growing up because each day I learn something new and significant about the world. I can only imagine how wise I might be when I turn 27…. but that’s a long way off. πŸ˜„ A few things you put on this list are actually things that I discovered last year too, like how there’s a difference between being lonely and alone, how it’s so important for me to love my Chinese heritage even if I am American, have an American passport, and live in America, and to never stop dreaming as well 😊 As I’m getting older, I realize that the world is so much more complicated, and the things I wanted to achieve as a kid require much more from me than just my passion for stories, writing, and traveling the world. I love this post so much, and happy birthday! πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰

Hi Zoie ❀ I can tell by your posts that you are proud of your Chinese heritage even though you live in America. Yes, I do find that part of getting older is realizing that achieving our dreams is much more complicated than we imagined as children. Despite this we should continue to do what we love to do πŸ™‚ ❀
      Thank you so much for your sweet message Zoie and wishing you a happy 2018!

7. Chauncey Rogers says:

Happy (belated) birthday! I hope that it was excellent. I completely understand not wanting to be the center of attention. I dread the awkwardness of gift giving/exchanging. But, on the other hand, I DO kind of feel slighted if people don’t acknowledge that it’s my birthday. πŸ˜›
    Some great wisdom. Getting older….it’s just fine. At least, that’s how I feel about it. But I suppose I don’t know much about it, because as it turns out, I’m only a few months older than you! Hope you’re enjoying 27!

Thank you Lashaan! πŸ™‚ Yes my age always surprises me too, however I am trying to think of it as a positive thing. I think it doesn’t matter how old we are as long as we keep doing what we love to do and not let our age affect that. For example I’ve seen a 60-year old man run marathons! πŸ™‚

8. theorangutanlibrarian says:

Happy belated birthday! I can really relate to what you’re saying about birthdays- I’m really not keen on being the centre of attention either. hahaha I’ve learnt my lesson about tea too πŸ˜‰ hahaha well I happen to really like adverbs, so it’s ok πŸ˜‰ Editing is hard :/ And adulting is hard… but I love where you ended this post!!