December Goals, TBR, & Life Updates

Glam Awards

Happy December, and hope everyone is doing well!

There are things that I love about December: Because it is holiday season, I will be getting together with family and friends. And there is a festive air everywhere, even at work! And online!

giphy

That being said, this particularly December is terribly stressful for me. I haven’t told you guys about this yet, but I am preparing to move across the country. And when we are talking Canada, this is a big move.Β So, these days I’ve been juggling flight bookings, apartment rentals, job applications, Christmas shopping, and my day job. Now I wish that I had started Christmas shopping in July :’) Oh, hindsight!

On another note, I am so thankful for blogging because it is keeping me sane. No matter how busy the day is, you guys always put a smile on my face. Thank you, everyone. You guys are really lovely πŸ™‚

To be honest, I don’t think I can get much reading done this month, but let’s be ambitious and we will see!

Blog_tbr

Carry On and Our Dark Duet are two books that has been on my TBR since forever. I am always VERY excited to read these books but for some reason keep putting it off (I am serious! It is possible to feel both emotions at the same time!)

When I mentioned that I am writing a novel about genetic engineering and space exploration, these two books were recommended to me because they also cover similar themes:

Brave New World tells of an ideal society where everyone is happy because of genetic engineering, recreational drugs, and brainwashing… or are they? Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep (the basis for the Blade Runner movie) tells the story of a post-apocalyptic world and a bounty hunter who is given the task of retiring escaped androids.

I am excited to be learning more about the sci-fi and dystopian genre. On the other hand I am nervous- What if one of these books is EXACTLY what I wanted to write for my novel!? :’)

These are two books that I’m carrying over from my November TBR:

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet talks about the chaotic lives of Rosemary and her crew aboard the Wayfarer spaceship.Β It Can’t Happen Here by Sinclair LewisΒ is a political novel about what might happen if fascism takes hold in America.

Blog_goals

Reading

I will aim for 6 books (as above), and see how it goes! I might be on another small trip (work-related) this month, in which case I would be able to binge-read during my flight. By the way, binge-reading is my favourite way to read books!

Writing

As you may know, I am in the plotting and researching stage of my current WIP. Right now, I am working on an outline* so that when I start writing, I will kind of know what I am doing :’) My goal for this month is to finish the outline.

*Usually I am not too big on outlining (or I will write an outline but then deviate drastically from it), so this is new for me. I’ll let you guys know how it goes!

Life

I’m………. just going to try and survive this month :’)

Do you like December? How early do you start Christmas shopping? What books are you hoping to read this month? Do you binge-read or do you read a bit each time? For writers out there, do you make outlines before writing?

48 thoughts on “December Goals, TBR, & Life Updates

1. Rachel says:

I wish I could edit my comment. I forgot to add something. But for the question about outlining. I don’t do it because I feel like I’m wasting my time as I know that once I start writing my story it takes me where it wants even if I have an outline.

Haha no worries! It is always when I click the “send” button when I realize that I forgot to mention something.
      I guess outlining isn’t for everyone! You must be a pantser then? I am on the fence about outlines as well, since my story also tends to change as it progresses πŸ™‚

2. Justine says:

I just read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep! It’s such a fantastic book, but it is a little slow to start. It gets more and more unsettling as it goes on — it’s such a great book.

The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet is a WONDERFUL book! I loved it so much.

This is a great list! You have some seriously good reading ahead of you πŸ™‚

Hi Justine!
      That’s great to hear that you liked Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep! I just started it today and the premise is intriguing so far. Looking forward to reading the rest πŸ™‚
      Glad to hear that you loved The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet as well! Sometimes I wish I could read faster so I could read all these great books haha πŸ™‚
      Thank you for your thoughtful comment ❀

Best of luck with the move, Sophie, I hope everything goes smoothly and without too much stress for you ❀
    Funny you will be reading Our Dark Duet, I just started reading This Savage Song today! I hope you'll enjoy this sequel! πŸ˜€
    I hope you'll be able to finish outlining your project, I can't wait for all the snippets again ahah πŸ™‚

I really loved This Savage Song (maybe even more than the Shades of Magic series!) so I hope that you will like this book as well. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts πŸ™‚
      Haha yes- life is pretty crazy right now, so I don't have as much time for writing. However I hope to be starting to write this new novel in the new year, so there might be more snippets then. We'll see πŸ™‚

Hi Sophie. πŸ˜€
    I’m going to wish you good luck with your December goals Sophie, both in terms of reading and in terms of everything else you’ve got going on. Sounds like it’s going to be a busy last month of the year for you but oh you have some great books on your December TBR list so I hope you manage to get around to them and I hope you really enjoy them as well; especially Carry On and Our Dark Duet. πŸ™‚
    I’ve actually been super organised this month and managed to get most of my Christmas shopping done, something I’m very glad of because I normally leave things until the last minute.
    I hope you have a great December Sophie, and I really hope the big move (and all that comes with it) goes really well for you. πŸ™‚ ❀

5. Lashaan (Bookidote) says:

I need to get around to Our Dark Duet too soon. I absolutely loved Brave New World and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? I do hope you’ll enjoy them all, Sophie! πŸ™‚ Also hope moving out ends up successful and as non-stressful as possible too! Have a great month of December. πŸ˜‰

6. Melanie Noell Bernard says:

Ewwww! Brave New World. BURN IT!!!! Jk. I hope you like it more than I did in middle school. Some things need to be taught at older ages. >.>

But jealous you have time for Dark Duet. I haven’t even read Savage Song yet. *sigh* I need to get reading more.

Haha Brave New World does seem like a book for older ages than middle school. That’s good to hear a different opinion on it- I’ll be prepared when I read it πŸ™‚

Yes I always wish I had more time to read! Unfortunately adulting takes up a lot of time lol :’)

• Melanie Noell Bernard says:

OH man does it ever! Adulting is totally kicking my butt right now (because I have to study for finals instead of read. *sigh*) But soon I will have time to read again! πŸ˜€ Or write. I still have to choose between the two. :/

Hope you like Brave New World more than I did. I think being older will help. πŸ™‚

Yes the hardest part of adulting is that it drains all of our time! I know the struggle of choosing between reading and writing- I always want to do both but usually I can only choose one :’)

• Melanie Noell Bernard says:

Totally just dealt with that today. Ugh. So frustrating especially when I read all the time and never write, but I still have to read for my blog ( and the authors I agreed to review for.) But oh well. I enjoy both of them and hopefully I’ll get some more time soon… depending on how classes go next semester. o.o

Yes unfortunately adulting means more boring stuff and less time to do what we want 😦 😦 Hope your schedule gets better next semester so you have more time for blogging, reading and writing πŸ™‚

7. Jackie @ Too Much of a Booknerd says:

Hey Sophie! Good luck with moving across the country, that must be incredibly stressful! And I totally get what you mean with putting off books on your TBRβ€”I do that pretty much every single day XD and I hope your research and outlining for your current WIP is going well! I tried outlining extensively last month and I found it wasn’t for me so I just did a simple one-page outline and found that to work for me! I hope you’ll manage to reach the goals you’ve set yourself for this month and good luck with everything else going on (moving- and work-related). Oh and happy reading, of course! ❀

Aww thank you so much for your sweet comment Jackie ❀
      Yes I am not too sure about outlining myself- although I like the process, I always deviate from my outline! That's great that you found a trick that works for you πŸ™‚
      Hope you have a wonderful December as well!

8. May @ Forever and Everly says:

Oh, good luck with all the moving!! It sounds so stressful, but I’m sure you’ll get through it. ❀ And omg I'm so excited to read Carry On!! I've herad it's the gay version of Harry Potter and YESSSS. I absolutely adored ODD, and I hope you like it as well!! ❀

Thank you May! In terms of moving, things are slowly coming together, which is good! I just finished Carry on, which I really enjoyed. Hope you will like it too πŸ™‚ I am almost done Our Dark Duet, and I am loving it so far! Have a happy December πŸ™‚

Ahh Brave New World!! I’m so glad you’re going to read it 😊 It’s a bit confusing at first because Huxley uses his own words and vocabulary to name things in his dystopian world, so you might want to look online for a Brave New World vocab sheet to help you as you read the book (it sure did help me 😁)! I hope you enjoy it — the themes within the story all made sense at the end and it’s definitely a book that I’ll remember fondly of my entire life. πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ“š

Oh haha! That’s awesome that there is a vocab sheet out there for Brave New World. I’ll absolutely have to look that up. Thanks for the heads up, because I’m sure it will come in handy when I read the book!
      Glad that you enjoyed this book πŸ™‚ I’ve been hearing mixed messages about it so far, but I think I will still read it!