My WIP aesthetics (and blurb!)

Happy Wednesday!

Have you ever played pranks on a telemarketer? Recently, when a telemarketer called, I couldn’t resist. It’s kind of a funny story:

Telemarketer: Hello, my name is Susan. I am calling you from The Organization that Do Surveys about Cereal Products.* Do you have a few minutes to participate in a survey?

Me: Sure.

Susan: You can only participate in this survey if you are 18 years of age or older. Are you over 18 years of age?

Me: Yes, but is there a maximum age for this study?

Susan: No, we have various age brackets.

Me: I am 120 years old. Do you have an age bracket for that?

Susan: …

Susan: All right, ma’am. Have a good day.

Me: But-but the survey-

I couldn’t help but burst into laughter when the phone call ended :’) I am 26 but I have the maturity of a 6-year-old.

*To protect the confidentiality of the telemarketer and the telemarketing company, names have been replaced with fictional ones. It’s also because, well, I forgot the actual names.

My WIP Aesthetics

Anyhow, today I am hoping to tell you guys a bit more about the WIP that I’ve been working on. Children of the Sun is a science fiction novel that takes place in present day. (Is there such a thing as an “alternate present” novel?)

This is the blurb:

Since the discovery of DNA in the 1950s, there has been tremendous interest in the potential of modifying the human genome. How soon can genetic diseases be eradicated? Can we push the boundaries of human fitness and intelligence? Now, in the year 2018, genetic modification of human embryos for medically necessary purposes is endorsed by the World Health Organization.

Meanwhile, there are rumours of a new genetic disease, one that can give rise to spontaneous combustion and allow its host to breathe underwater. Those that carry these mutations, Deviants, must be medicated and controlled. It is the job of the Deviant Investigation Unit to track these people down.

Fifteen-year-old Meredith doesn’t have a last name or a passport. The only family she knows is Rio, Edene, and the other detectives in the Unit. When Edene, her best friend and guardian disappears, Meredith investigates the unexplained deaths of three young women, and uncovers her own past and the darkest secret in the history of genetic modification.

Meredith

Meredith

Rio Matsui

Rio

Edene Adams

Edene

Do you ever prank telemarketers? What are your thoughts about human genetic engineering / genomic editing / genetic modification? Should it be allowed, or are the consequences too great?

20 thoughts on “My WIP aesthetics (and blurb!)

That was funny! Sometimes I do have fun at the expense of telemarketers but I don’t usually bother.
    The human genetic mod question is very serious and controversial and I can’t think of a satisfactory (to me) answer. All I can say for the time being is that if a genetic modification can “cure” a disease I would support it. But I wouldn’t dare be more general on this issue.

Haha thanks Michael :’) I do feel bad about pranking telemarketers, maybe one day I will grow up and stop doing it!
      That is a good point: why not cure a genetic disease if we can do it? We use antibiotics to cure infections all the time. I think it gets grey though- you could say that acne is a health condition, but should we use genetics to cure that? How about height and intelligence?

Hahahahahaha, I laughed so much at that story. I think I will have to start doing pranks like that as well 😛
    Your WIP sounds so, so interesting, I love the blurb and your aesthetics are really pretty – I love the one for Edene the most, I think! I can’t wait to hear more about your WIP 🙂

Oh my god when my cousin was younger he managed to keep a telemarketer on the phone for like twenty minutes before revealing he was only like 14 and “you should probably talk to my dad about this, but he’s not here” and then hung up without letting the telemarketer get in another word. He apparently had a lot of time to waste. 😀
    Anyways I LOVE the sound of your new WIP Sophie, this is definitely something I would love to read one day if it was published. Also I can’t choose which of your aesthetics I like the best, can I say all three because at the moment I feel like all three of these characters would be faves of mine. 🙂
    Great post, and I can’t wait to hear more about your new project! 😀

4. Lashaan (Bookidote) says:

Hahahaha you clearly stated your disinterest in their survey with that one! I didn’t get the chance to do that yet, but I’ll definitely try your strategy and see how it goes! 😀 Beautiful aesthetics by the way. Love the names too. Human genetic engineering definitely has its perks and could totally be used in a very unethical way, but I love that you’re focusing your story on it, or at least a part of it on it!

Haha yes, pranking telemarketers is fun (although it is at the expense of the telemarketer!)
      Thank you Lashaan. The idea of human genetic engineering has intrigued me for a long time which is why I am glad to be writing this story. There are definitely pros and cons, and ways in which in can be used for good and evil.

5. Dani @ Perspective of a Writer says:

My writing partner read a paper on some Alzheimer’s research and how they learned of a rare gene that keeps people from getting it. Now they are trying to reverse engineer something that could work for people who don’t have the gene. We actually used the idea of it for a tiny bit of one of our characters back history. I think it’s very fascinating and love it’s the basis of your story Sophie!

My brother pranks telemarketers by speaking the tiny bit of German he knows, lol. They always hang up. I too love your aesthetics and blurb! Good luck moving forward! ♥️

Hi Dani!
      That is really awesome that a research paper inspired part of your story! And that is neat what they are doing with the Alzheimer’s gene- I learned something new today 🙂
      Haha your brother is funny! Maybe I will speak Chinese to the telemarketer next time they call 🙂
      Thanks Dani for your sweet comment ❤