6 Reasons to Write

Since I just finished my novel, I’ve been reflecting a bit about… well, writing. Today I want to share with you guys the reasons why I write.

1. Create a universe

Have you ever wondered what it’s like to live in a space station, float in zero gravity, and devise battle plans against a neighbouring intergalactic colony? Have you ever wanted to go to a school of vampires, or werewolves, or wizards? How about just a small town in northern Canada, where people start going missing one by one, and the townspeople have to figure out whodunnit?

Whether it is an alternate universe, or just a small pocket of everyday life, the world that we create becomes real.

2. Live vicariously through our own characters

To be honest, guys, life isn’t always the most interesting, and life isn’t always the most kind. Adulting kind of sucks. Whether we are angry, or sad, or just bored, writing is a great way to jump out of our own skin and into someone else’s. The best part is: we get to create who that character will be.

3. Create a story

There’s something amazing about stories, isn’t there? What I love about stories is that there is a beginning, a middle, and an end. I love that there are characters that we can relate to, and a message that stays with us even after we turn the last page.

As a child (and, well, as an adult), I loved to daydream and think up stories in my head. Writing lets us bring these daydreams into reality and share them with the world.

4. Pass on a message

Do you have a passion? Do you have a message that you want to scream out to the world? Is there a group that you want to represent? Do you want to empower women by creating a kick-ass female character? Or do you want to fight stigma? Or, do you simply want to inspire courage, or compassion, or perseverance?

I believe that, more than anything else, stories can change hearts.

5. Learn about the world

If you are writing about something that you are unfamiliar about, chances are, you will have to do some research. And believe me, researching for the sake of a story is more fun than any research that we would ever do for school or for work.

For my novel, I’ve learned more than I will ever know otherwise about art history, mental illness, and prescription drug abuse (I know, heavy stuff). Although not all of these topics made it into my actual story, I enjoyed every bit of the research that I did, and I am so glad for what I learned about the world in the process.

6. It’s about the journey

When I mention that I am writing a novel to my friends or family, a common question I get is, “Are you going to publish it?” The thing is, I’ve always wanted to publish a novel. Who doesn’t? All writers want to get their story out to the world. Our story is like our baby, and we want to watch our baby grow and blossom.

I did some research about publishing (that really ought to be a whole blog post blog of its own), and… well, the harsh reality is that it’s really darn hard. And I realize that if I write for the sake of publishing, then writing wouldn’t be fun anymore. When I write for the sake of writing, that’s when I enjoy it the most and when I produce the best work.

As you guys can see, I am quite inspired by The Sound of Music today :’)

If you are a writer, what do you love about writing? How do you go about doing the research for your story? Do you want to publish a novel / have you published a novel?Β If you are a reader, what kind of stories do you like to read?

37 thoughts on “6 Reasons to Write

1. artyplantsman says:

I find I am enjoying writing for the blog but not sure I could cope with the large arcs that writing a novel would require – I would be in too much of a rush to get to the end! As for structuring multiple plot strands, I’d be lost
    As a reader I am getting a bit jaded so I’m trying new genres in the hope of finding something that hits the spot.

I think that’s great that you enjoy writing blog posts rather than long stories! We are all different πŸ™‚
      Hope you will be able to find a genre that you will enjoy. It’s always good to switch it up to keep reading interesting πŸ™‚

• MichaelK says:

I’ve finally managed to get some free time and I’ve been pondering these reasons. I can only say I am in total agreement as each one of them is a valid and, many times, compelling reason to write. And I think it is fairly common for two or more of them to be at the same time the force behinds a writer’s hand.
        Unfortunately I am not a writer (unless short stories and RPG stuff count towards it) but reasons 1, 2, 3 and to a less extent 6 are behind my endeavors in writing.
        As a reader I read more or less all genres (OK, I’ve got a soft spot for fantasy and non-fiction history) but what excites more than anything is a good story arc with a solid plot (and some twists).

Yes I think that short stories and RPGs do count as writing!! (After all you are making stories from words, right?) I am glad to hear that you can relate to some of these reasons for writing, Michael πŸ™‚

That’s awesome that you read from a variety of genres! I agree that a solid plot is essential and i love being surprised by a great plot twist. These days I am hoping to explore genres that are outside my norm πŸ™‚

Oh these are all brilliant reasons Sophie. πŸ™‚ When I was younger I wrote just for the joy of writing. I had so many ideas I needed to put down on paper I just wanted to create stories like you said. I stopped writing for ages but blogging has inspired me so I’m taking part in NaNo this year and I can’t wait. All these reasons are reasons I love reading, and now my reasons to write are mainly to create stories and to create my own world as well.
    I’ve been planning more this time around than ever before, and it kind of works for me but I’ll see how well during November! πŸ™‚
    Great post! πŸ˜€ ❀️

It's so great to hear a bit about why you like to write! I also loved writing as a child until high school, then I took a break from writing during university because life got so busy. It was nanowrimo that got me back into the writing mood πŸ™‚

That's awesome that you've started planning for nanowrimo! I am excited for you! Hope you have a great writing month in November and I really do hope to read your writing one day πŸ™‚

This is such a great post, Sophie, and I love your reasons to write here – I think they’re pretty much the same for me. I used to and always daydream about stories, characters and worlds, it’s so great and it feels so good to be able to, well, invent everything with the tips of your fingers. I love escaping like that, I love shaping other worlds, other characters and so on. Also, I definitely would love to inspire some people with my writing, or at least give other people tons of emotions (to be honest, that would be my goal, that people have tons of feelings while reading what I wrote).
    I’m not really pursuing publishing, at the moment, I’m just like you – I want to enjoy what I write, I just want to write for myself and, well…. I guess I’ll see afterwards if it’s worth trying to publish at all ahah πŸ™‚
    GREAT post! ❀ ❀

Hello Marie ❀ πŸ™‚
      Thank you! I am glad to hear about the reasons why you write. I love how you say "invent everything with the tips of your fingers", because that is exactly how I feel about writing! Yes, it is also my goal to give people emotions!
      I absolutely agree about publishing! It feels more liberating to write for ourselves for the time being, and decide afterwards about publishing πŸ™‚
      Hope you have a great writing month πŸ™‚ I think you've mentioned that you've decided to do Nanowrimo this year? Best wishes!! πŸ™‚

Hi Debbie! I love hearing about why other writers like to write! Yes, writing keeps me sane as well :’) I love that it is something I can always come back to at the end of the day.

This is such a wonderful post! 😍 The second point resonated with me the most. In addition to adding some magic to your own life when things might seem kinda boring or quotidian, writing is also a great way to understand yourself better. I have to understand the motive behind every single thing that my characters do when I’m writing a story, and sometimes trying to decipher why my characters would do something gives me insight on what I believe or value, which I might not really think about during a regular day in my daily life. 😊

I also agree with you on the revelation that writing for yourself without aiming to get your story published makes the entire writing process so much lighter and fun! One of my lifetime goals is definitely to traditionally publish a novel of mine, but for now, I love writing knowing that I’m doing it just because it’s a passion of mine. πŸ˜„πŸ“š

Hi Zoie! Thank you so much for your thoughtful comment! I absolutely agree that writing is a great way to understand ourselves, in that it challenges us to understand our characters πŸ™‚
      That’s great to hear that you have a passion for writing as well πŸ™‚ All the best for your writing goals!

5. When I Reach You says:

A very smart professor I know once said, think of writing as righting our life. In essence, I think that’s the beauty of writing. We not only get to relieve moments in time, but also revise certain aspects we cannot in real life. This gives us an opportunity to reflect on our past and try to create a better world, through language, for ourselves and our readers.

That’s a beautiful way to think about writing! It hasn’t occurred to me before but yes I agree that we can reflect on our past through writing. As a reader and a writer, I feel that I’ve become a more accepting and forgiving person. I think both reading and writing helps us become more empathetic people πŸ™‚
      I absolutely agree that through writing we can envision a better world, which is a great thing. On the other hand, we can also explore the ways that everything can go wrong (without doing wrong in the actual world!) Think of all the dystopian novels out there. It is a safe way to explore how the world can be different, for better or for worse πŸ™‚

6. Beware Of The Reader says:

I’m only a reader and a blogger but what I’m looking for is escaping my reality. I want to be swept off my feet and embark on a journey. Or cry ugly tears because it’s so sad but so beautiful. And learn about other countries, cultures etc. I also want to read about villain being beaten by the good ones as I need hope some days.

Hello!
      Yes one of the amazing things about reading (and blogging!) is that we get to escape from our worries for a bit and live inside someone else’s head.
      Thank you for stopping by and leaving a thoughtful comment!

7. Milly Schmidt says:

Number 2 for me for sure!! Adulting sucks, real life is full of stress and tears and responsibilities… but the worlds we can create in our mind are full of wonder and magic and epic adventures that takes us to places we never knew existed – until we create them. God, how I love writing πŸ™‚