WIPpet Wednesday: How fast can planes fly?

Blog_wippet

Happy Wednesday!

A question for all you writers out there: Do you ever get nervous about showing other people your writing?

The reason why I ask is that, now that I am about 99.9% done my novel, my friends and family (aka. my beta-readers) are asking to read it. And that terrifies me.

I mean, on one hand, I want to share with others what I’ve been working on for the past year. I am proud of my novel and I believe that people will enjoy reading it.

On the other hand, my novel is not perfect. Although this is the 4th draft, I know for a fact that there are inconsistencies and spelling/grammar errors abound! Some scenes are unnecessary! Some scenes I don’t even like! There are so many things that I want to go back and tweak! (Which is why I wrote the 2nd and 3rd and 4th draft without showing anyone…)

I swear, this will be a conversation between me and my (future) grandchild:

Grandkid: Gramma, when can I read your story?

Me: Hang on, dear, I will show you once I finish my 96th draft…

No kidding :’)

Today’s snippet takes place shortly after Matt meets Olivia. Matt’s usual babysitter, Tanya, is away, and Olivia offers to look after his daughter for the evening. Matt and his daughter clean their apartment before she arrives.

Matt arranges the shoes neatly on the shoe rack, while Zelda picks up pencil crayons and plastic bags from the floor. Then, Matt pulls out the vacuum from the cupboard.

“Daddy, why do we gotta clean before Olivia comes?” Zelda asks.

He pauses before inserting the plug into the wall socket. “Well,” He says. “That’s because Olivia is a guest. We want her to feel comfortable at our house, right? When you go to Tiffany’s house, is it clean?”

“Yeah. But Tiffany’s house has a cleaning person who does all the cleaning. Can we have a cleaning person?”

That’s not a surprise. Tiffany’s family lives in a penthouse on Bay Street. Matt and Zelda, on the other hand, lives in a five-story walk-up.

“Maybe one day, Z.”

“Why don’t we clean before Tanya comes?” Zelda asks.

“Well,” he says, stretching out the word. They’ve been used to Tanya coming over to babysit that he’s been slack with the cleaning. “Look, Z, a plane!” He points out the window.

“Oh, really?”

She races over and leans over the windowsill, looking up at the sky. “There’s no plane, Daddy.”

“Oh gee,” Matt says. “I guess it went by too quickly. You know how fast planes can fly?”

“Hmm,” Zelda says. She turns back around, pressing a finger to her lips. “As fast as a car? As fast as a train?”

WIPpet Math: 10 (for October) + 2 (for 2nd Wednesday of the month) = 12 paragraphs

WIPpet Wednesdays is a blog hop where writers can share a snippet from their WIP. The only stipulation is that the excerpt is somehow related to the date. Be sure to check out some of the other lovely WIPpet snippets here. Thank you Emily Wrayburn for hosting.

Are you nervous about sharing your writing with others? Do you clean before guests arrive?

35 thoughts on “WIPpet Wednesday: How fast can planes fly?

1. cseveneaj says:

Yes, always.. it’s making me uneasy to share my writings to others, it’s like opening, exposing yourself to everyone. But sometimes, it’s good to share.. Their reactions and praises are more than enough to motivate me to write more…😁😅

And yeah, congrats with your novel!!😊❤
    Actually, one of my goal is to write one and for it to be published. I know it’s a bit impossible base on my age. But I stl believe I can do it..😅😅 I tried to write manuscripts a lot of times but I don’t know, I just can’t finish it..
    A few advices from you would be much appreciated😁❤❤

2. Fallon says:

Haha, gotta love a good old distraction technique. *sigh* My kids don’t usually fall for them. 🙂

I’m always nervous about showing other people my writing. Still, and I published my first novel in 2014. Especially people I actually know, it’s a little easier to have strangers read it. It’s easier to brush off a stranger saying it’s crap than if someone I care about told me the same thing.

Hi Fallon! I feel the same way. Oddly enough, I don’t mind the thought of sharing my writing with strangers that I haven’t talked to. It’s sharing with people that I know that is difficult! I am a bit surprised to hear that you feel nervous even though you’ve published a novel before. I guess it is something that doesn’t go away :’)

Oh I am ALWAYS nervous to show other people my writing. I almost never do, actually – well, not for now. I’m just too nervous that it will all suck and that I’ll feel like I have failed and everything else, ahah, all of the writers’ doubts are terrible, ahah. I know that I’ll make other people read it eventually, just because I’m curious for their feedback, but yes, THE NERVES ahah.
    I love that snippet, ahah, adorable ❤

You describe how I feel exactly! I get very excited thinking that people will read what I write (finally! After so much hard work!) but it is nerve-wracking. Looks like this is a common sentiment among writers, so we are not alone 🙂 I guess we will have to eventually overcome our doubts?

Glad that you love this snippet!! 🙂

4. AM says:

LOL! Nice segue, Matt. Good thing Zelda’s still young enough for that to work.

I always get nervous about putting my work out there for people to see. My beta readers have all been excellent writers themselves, so it’s nail-biting time when I know that I have scenes I hate or clunky phrasing I might have missed. And what if my story is bad? Or my characters are unlikable? Even when people I know personally are reading, I get so anxious about it. And then I remember…everyone feels this way. I’ll bet even famous authors who have been at it their whole lives still feel that way.

That’s exactly how I feel! I am terrified that my story is bad, or that I will offend someone without meaning to. I am a bit surprised that you feel similarly, since it seems like you’ve published a few novels already! But I think you are right that even famous writers might have this fear as well 🙂

5. Jackie @ toomuchofabooknerd says:

Oh I love the idea of this blog hop! I’ll definitely have to participate in the future! And I’m DEFINITELY nervous about sharing my writing with others! I’ve never done it before and it just seems so scary 😂 Anyway, thanks for sharing a snippet of your WIP! I actually really enjoyed reading it and I can’t wait to see more in your next WIP blog hop post 💓

Hello Jackie!! I really hope you will participate in this blog hop! I always look forward to making a WIPpet post because I am excited to hear other people’s reactions to my snippets! It is also fun to read a bit about everyone else’s stories! And it is a small group so I got to know the other writers quite well 🙂 they are a kind and supportive group!

I’m glad that I’m not the only one scared about sharing my writing :’) I don’t mind a snippet here and there like for these posts but sharing an entire novel is completely different! Glad that you like this post and thank you for dropping by ❤

6. jlgfellers says:

Oh, yes, sharing my writing with family makes me nervous, I have to see them at least semi-regularly after all. But it’s not the same feeling as sharing my work online in small amounts. Online, I can delete comments if I want (though I never had deleted anything aside from spam) and reply as needed. Don’t expect wonders from family and friends, and they don’t necessarily make the best betas, so keep your expectations low in that regard. (voice of experience) Just do the absolute best you can and know that, eventually, the work will land in a, hopefully, good editor’s hands for tweaking. Keep writing, Sophie. I mean it. Keep going, but work past the nervousness. It’s just nerves, not the end of it all. People are going to both like and dislike your work. It happens, and you’ll learn a lot about them based on their responses.

Thank you so much for your encouraging comment Jeanne ❤

You are right about normalizing expectations about friends and family. To be absolutely honest, some of my friends don’t like reading on a regular basis, so I am expecting that they may not finish the book. My family are very conservative and traditional in their thinking so I will probably not show them my story until it is very, very polished. I will probably make a post next week here to see if anyone from the blogging community would want to give it a try 🙂

That is good advice about working past the nervousness 🙂 and you are right that there will always be people who like or dislike a piece of work, no matter how great an author is.

7. Charlotte says:

Sharing my work makes me incredibly nervous!! I always think other people’s work is better than mine and that they automatically won’t like it! I’ve done some workshopping in my uni course so that’s certainly helped 🙂 I guess once you get started it won’t be as stressful as the first time you do it.

8. debbiemcgowan says:

Yep, me too! My husband is my very first reader, and he’s tactful but his facial expressions are not. I’m glad, though. I can take it better from him than anyone else, but I’m still a wreck – if he doesn’t like it, no-one else will… It’s got to be a good thing we feel like this, right?

I love Matt’s distraction technique. Kids ask such difficult questions! It’s another great snippet. I don’t think you have anything to fear when, you know, you let your grandchild read draft #96. 😉

I absolutely get what you mean. My fiancé is the only person who has read draft 1 and draft 3 of my story, and even though I know him very well, it is still nerve wracking to show him! Haha maybe it is good that we feel nervous about showing our writing to others- because of this we want to make sure our work is as perfect as possible 🙂

Thank you for your sweet comment Debbie ❤ 🙂