Book Quote #10: “Two kinds of quiet people”

Quotefancy-23385-3840x2160

I honestly think there are two kinds of quiet people. There’s the kind like me, who are secretly full of storms and spinning gears. And then there’s the kind like Olivia, who is the actual personification of an ocean on a sunny day. I don’t mean that she’s simple. There’s just something peaceful about her. There always has been.

– The Upside of Unrequited, Becky Albertalli

GUYS!!!

I think I’ve finally found my literary twin.

Seriously.

And that is Molly from The Upside of Unrequited. She is just so relatable. Her thoughts might as well be plucked from my brain.

Anyway, I absolutely love this quote from The Upside of Unrequited, because I feel like it is speaking about me. Well, half of it anyway. I am that person who appears to be quiet and polite and calm and NORMAL, but it really is a storm in my head. Really. My head never shuts up. When I am excited, it’s like this in my brain:

Except on the outside, I’m just normal smiling.

I mean, I’m not trying to disguise my excitement. That’s just how I am.

Anyway, now I want to hear from you guys! Do you have a literary twin? Do you consider yourself to be a quiet person?

16 thoughts on “Book Quote #10: “Two kinds of quiet people”

1. delphinethebabbler says:

I love how perfectly you related yourself to this literary character! If there is an absolute ditz literary character, like the typical dumb ‘blonde’ that talks for no reason, I’m pretty sure that would accurately sum up who I am – haha.
    Lovely post, yet again Sophie! 😀

2. Felix Hinson says:

In terms of a literary twin, I think all of my characters represent some part of me (perhaps Amanda is most similar to me, in other words lazy and reluctant to do anything ever). Also I’d agree that I’m quiet on the outside but sometimes too loud on the inside. Great post by the way!!!

Thank you! And I’m glad that you can relate about being a quiet person! I feel the same way about my characters. They each have a part of me 🙂 Olivia is an awkward nerd with good intentions, well Matt is my dark side haha…

3. Stella's Journey says:

I think that my literary twin is (don’t laugh) Bella Swan. Twilight Saga will always have a special place in my heart ❤️ but I have always thought that Bella has kind of the same personality as me. She’s this quiet and laid-back but she can still stand for her self and be super confident.

To be honest, I’ve never thought of a literary twin. I can strongly relate to this or that character but that’s mostly it. As for quiet, well it depends on what you mean, considering I am podcasting so I voice my thoughts regularly. But there is also a ton of things going on in my mind about which I don’t speak so that would put me somewhere in the middle?

It does make sense that “literary twins” wouldn’t exist, since no two people are 100% alike, and that includes fictional characters and actual people (unless you are writing an autobiography!)

Seems like you have the best of both worlds then – quiet and loud 🙂 That’s awesome that you do podcasts!

5. Lois says:

I feel like that quote just sums me up. I feel like most of the time the first half of the quote applies to me the most but I have some moments where I feel peaceful and relaxed and those are the moments I cherish cause it’s so nice to not have my mind working all the time.

Hi Lisa! I think I am similar in that I also like get togethers with people that I care about, even though I am a quiet person. It is interesting that there are different kinds of quiet 🙂 thanks for dropping by!